1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direct Comparison Test

1. May 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that:

[itex]\sum \frac{3}{n^{2} + 1}[/itex]

converges from n = 1 to ∞

2. Relevant equations

If Ʃbn converges, and Ʃan < Ʃbn.

Ʃan also converges.

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\sum \frac{1}{n^{2}}[/itex] converges

[itex]\sum \frac{3}{n^{2} + 1}[/itex] = 3 * [itex]\sum \frac{1}{n^{2} + 1}[/itex]

[itex]\sum \frac{1}{n^{2} + 1}[/itex] < [itex]\sum \frac{1}{n^{2}}[/itex] for all n from 1 to ∞.

Therefore [itex]\sum \frac{1}{n^{2} + 1}[/itex] converges.

Therefore [itex]\sum \frac{3}{n^{2} + 1}[/itex] also converges.

The problem I am having is if the 3 remained in the summation.

[itex]\sum \frac{3}{n^{2} + 1}[/itex] is not less than [itex]\sum \frac{1}{n^{2}}[/itex] for all n from 1 to ∞.

Why does placing the 3 outside the summation make the problem work?

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you leave the 3 inside the sum, you will have to find a different converging series to compare it to. The method will still work.

4. May 6, 2013 #3
    So that means I would need to compare the series to [itex]\frac{3}{n^{2}}[/itex] instead.

I can prove [itex]\frac{3}{n^{2}}[/itex] through the integral test. Though speaking of the integral test, it doesn't seem like the test works for the original series since I am getting tan-1(∞). So would the integral test be inconclusive in this case?

5. May 6, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

arctan(∞), which is what I assume is what you mean by tan^(-1)(∞), is finite.

6. May 6, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are making it WAAAAAY too complicated: it is a simple fact---easily proved---that if c is a constant, then ##\sum_n c a_n = c \sum_n a_n##, in the sense that if one side converges, so does the other (and the two sides are equal), and if one side diverges so does the other.

7. May 6, 2013 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. You would not necessarily have to compare to [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{3}{n^{2}}\ .[/itex]

There are many other possibilities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted