How can I solve the problem with Fourier transforms in critical phenomena?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of Fourier transforms and convolution in solving a problem related to critical phenomena. The participants also clarified the arguments of functions in the integral and how they relate to translation invariance in a homogeneous system. Overall, the conversation focused on understanding and applying the concepts of convolution and Fourier transforms in solving the problem.
enrikofermi
Hi all.
I'm learning something about critical phenomena and I have one problem.

I'm bad with Fourier transforms so I don't know how from 7.37 we have 7.38.
I have tryed everything I knew, but fruitless. I have attached picture of my problem.

Does anybody has any idea how I can solve this?

Attachments

• IMG988.jpg
    IMG988.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply 7.37 with the denominator of the RHS and then Fourier transform using that a product in Fourier space becomes a convolution in direct space (and vice versa), i.e. the integral on the RHS of eq. 7.38.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolution_theorem

Thanks!
Is the Fourier transform of C (with hat) just C without hat, taking into account deffinition of C?
What make me confused are the arguments of functions in 7.38. Why r-r', and so on...?

Anybody? To help with this manybody? :)

That C and ##\hat{C}## are Fourier transforms of each other is clearly stated in the article.
r1-r2 is as valid a variable as e.g. x or y. In a homogeneous system, translation invariant quantities cannot depend on both r1 and r2 but via their difference r1-r2. I suppose this has been discussed in your text previously

Yes, I know, it was discussed earlier. But that what confused me was arguments of those functions under integral. Why are they different? And why they differ from those arguments of function outside of integral?

I think you first have to convince yourself that the integral represents a convolution.

I have used convolution theorem, but I didn't get exactly same solution as author. Look how I calculated that. Arguments of my functions are considerably different. And that is what confuses me...

Attachments

• IMG1000.jpg
    IMG1000.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 445
Rename your variables:
r->r-r'
And
r''->r''-r'

Likes enrikofermi
Thank you very much Doc!

1. What is a direct correlation function?

A direct correlation function is a mathematical function that describes the relationship between two variables. It measures how closely two variables are related and whether they increase or decrease together.

2. How is a direct correlation function calculated?

A direct correlation function is typically calculated using statistical methods such as correlation coefficients or regression analysis. These methods analyze the data and determine the strength and direction of the relationship between the variables.

3. What is the difference between a direct and an indirect correlation function?

A direct correlation function measures the relationship between two variables that increase or decrease together, while an indirect correlation function measures the relationship between two variables that change in opposite directions.

4. What is the significance of a direct correlation function in a scientific study?

A direct correlation function is important in a scientific study as it helps researchers understand the relationship between two variables and make predictions about how changes in one variable may affect the other. It also allows for the identification of potential confounding factors that may impact the results of the study.

5. Can a direct correlation function establish causation between two variables?

No, a direct correlation function alone cannot establish causation between two variables. While a strong correlation may suggest a relationship between two variables, it does not necessarily mean that one variable causes the other. Additional research and experiments are needed to establish causation.