1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direct Coupling of Energy Groups, Multigroup Neutron Diffusion

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    This one comes from Duderstadt and Hamilton, Problem 7-3.

In multi-group diffusion theory What percentage of neutrons slowing down in hydrogen will tend to skip energy groups if the group structure is chosen such that [itex]\frac{E_{g-1}}{E_{g}}[/itex]=100= 1/[itex]\alpha_{approx}[/itex].

I know that the probability of a neutron scattering to a lower energy in hydrogen is uniformly distributed as: [itex]\frac{1}{E_{i}}[/itex] (because [itex]\alpha[/itex] = 0 in this case).

My approach was to integrate the probability distribution from 0 to the bottom of the (approximated) energy group which should give me the probability that the final energy is less than [itex]\alpha E_{i}[/itex]:

[itex]\int^{E_{i} \alpha_{approx}}_{0} \frac{1}{E_{i}} dE_{f}[/itex] which lead to a value of [itex]\alpha_{approx}=\frac{1}{100}=1[/itex]%.

Am I doing this right?

It is worth noting that for neutron moderators with A> 1 (anything heavier than hydrogen) the s-wave downscattering PDF is given by:
    [itex]P(E_{i}\rightarrow E_{f})=\frac{1}{(1-\alpha)*E_{i}}[/itex]

where:
    [itex]\alpha=(\frac{A-1}{A+1})^{2}[/itex]

and [itex]\alpha E_{i}[/itex] is the minimum energy a neutron can scatter to from [itex]E_{i}[/itex] in a collision with a nucleus of mass A.

from this it is clear that if A=1 (as in hydrogen) α = 0 and thus the distribution goes as 1/E.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted