1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direct current circuit

1. Mar 18, 2008 #1
    I've attached the problem in this post, so that's way yall can see the problem and picture easily.

3. The attempt at a solution

what is this signal [tex]\sum[/tex] means in the problem?
    THe problem said they find the ammeter in the cirucuit read 2A, I just wonder is it the total current?
    If i set up I = I1 + I2, then in loop 1 (top loop) I can use I and I1 to; and in loop 2(bottom loop) I can use I and I2 in order to find the currents. Is it correct? Please give me a hint. Thank you!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The symbol is a capital Sigma, it generally means sum of ( ie add them all up )
    ps - You don't seem to have attached the picture properly

4. Mar 22, 2008 #3
    Thanks. I did fixed the picture. Can anyone please help me out?

5. Mar 22, 2008 #4
    define the potential to the point to the right of the ammeter to be 0.
    call the potential to the left of th 5 ohm resistance U.
    What must U be to make the current through the ammeter equal to 2A?
    Once you have U you can calculate I_1 and the use kirchhof's current law to get I_2

6. Mar 22, 2008 #5
    Go around the bottom loop and go around the top loop using Kirchoff's loop law, then find I3 through the ammeter in terms of I1 and I2. 3 equations and 3 unknowns.

7. Aug 8, 2008 #6
    I want answer for questions, wuold you help mme?

8. Aug 8, 2008 #7

Defennder

Homework Helper

Unfortunately no one can give you the answer, per PF rules. Show your work and we'll help you if you have problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?