1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direct Current Circuits and Kirchoff's rules

1. Feb 7, 2004 #1
    Im having a bit of trouble with some problems using Kirchoff's rules.

The problem states for me to calculate each of the unknown currents: I1, I2, & I3 for the circuit diagram attached.

Now Ive drawn my diagram and ive gotten my three equations for three unknowns, but i keep getting a negative number for the final answers for I1 and I2. I3 ends up being way off.

Equations:

1. I3 = I1 + I2
    2. 8 = -2.0 I1 – I3
    3. 4 = I3 – 2I2
    4. 6 = -I1 – I2

The equations come from the following:

1. Conservation of energy rule
    2. Top loop
    3. Bottom Loop
    4. Outside Loop

This is the way that my professor was having us practice them in class.

Using equation #2 and substituting equation #1 into #2 I arrive at the following:

Work:

8 = -2.0I1 – I3
    8 = -2.0I1 – (I1 +I2)
    8 = -3.0I1 – I2

Then Solving for I2 on equation #4 I got:

I2 = -I1 – 6

Including this into the previous equation I got

8 = -3.0I1 – (-I1 – 6)
    8 = -3.0I1 - I1 - 6
    8 = -4.0I1 -6
    14 = -4.0I1
    Dividing
    -3.5 = I1

The proper answer is +3.5

Ive worked the problem over and over and I can't seem to see where I got a sign mixed up. If someone could steer me in the right direction I would be very thankful.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2004 #2

jamesrc

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your first equation does not fit with the other 3 and those last 3 equations use the opposite sign convention of the figure. The main thing with sign conventions is that you stay consistent. I would write KCL looking at the node on the middle right as I1 = I2 + I3 (sum of the currents into the node equals the sum of the currents out of the node). Your 3 loop equations have the signs flipped from what I've got (I wrote out the equations according to the sign conventions given in the diagram).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?