Calculating Internal Resistance of a Worn-Out Battery

In summary: I see, thank you for explaining it in more detail. :)I see, thank you for explaining it in more detail. :)
Sastronaut

Homework Statement

10) A voltmeter whose resistance is 1000Ω measures the voltage of a worn-out 1.5V flashlight batter as 0.9V. What is the internal resistance?

11) If the flashlight battery of the preceding problem had been measured with a voltmeter with a resistance of 10MΩ what voltage would have been read?

[Questions From CHP 1 of Principles of Electronics Instrumentation by Diefenderfer and Holton 3rd edition]

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

10)
1.5V-.9V=.6V
.9V/1000Ω= 9x10^-4A
R=.6V/9x10^-4A=666.67Ω as an internal resistance

*this answer seems to large to me for the given physical situation. Am I going in the right direction with my math or have I totally diverged from what the true answer should be?

11)
.9V/10MΩ= 9x10^-8A
V=(9x10^-8A)(666.67Ω)=6x10^-5V

*I believe that my answer in number 10 is incorrect and if it is...obviously my answer for number 11 would be affected. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! thank you to all in PF:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sastronaut said:

Homework Statement

10) A voltmeter whose resistance is 1000Ω measures the voltage of a worn-out 1.5V flashlight batter as 0.9V. What is the internal resistance?

11) If the flashlight battery of the preceding problem had been measured with a voltmeter with a resistance of 10MΩ what voltage would have been read?

[Questions From CHP 1 of Principles of Electronics Instrumentation by Diefenderfer and Holton 3rd edition]

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

10)
1.5V-.9V=.6V
.9V/1000Ω= 9x10^-4A
R=.6V/9x10^-4A=666.67Ω as an internal resistance

*this answer seems to large to me for the given physical situation. Am I going in the right direction with my math or have I totally diverged from what the true answer should be?

It is correct.

Sastronaut said:
11)
.9V/10MΩ= 9x10^-8A
V=(9x10^-8A)(666.67Ω)=6x10^-5V

*I believe that my answer in number 10 is incorrect and if it is...obviously my answer for number 11 would be affected. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! thank you to all in PF:)

That is wrong.
The emf of the battery is 1.5 V, but the current flowing through the internal resistance Ri=667 Ω causes a voltage drop inside the battery. The terminal voltage, you measure between the terminals is equal to V=EMF-IRi. At the same time, it is equal to the resistance of the load Rv (it is the voltmeter now) multiplied by the current V=IRv.
When you connect the voltmeter to the battery, the total resistance in the loop is Ri+Rv. Calculate the current from this equation.

ehild

im not sure I completely follow...so are you saying to use V=I(Ri+Rv), solve for I and the plug that current value in the equation V=emf-IRi? What values of V do I use in the first and in the second equations?

I have tried the problem again and I still don't quite follow...

Sastronaut said:
im not sure I completely follow...so are you saying to use V=I(Ri+Rv), ?

It is emf=(Ri+Rv)I, emf=1.5 V.

ehild

Thank you for your help ehild!

Sastronaut said:
Thank you for your help ehild!

you are welcome. :smile:

ehild

okay here's my math

emf=(Ri+Rv)I
1.5V=(666.67Ω+10MΩ)I
I=1.5x10^-7A
V=IRi
V=(1.5x10^-7A)(666.67Ω)
V=1x10^-4V is what is read on the voltmeter

Sastronaut said:
okay here's my math

emf=(Ri+Rv)I
1.5V=(666.67Ω+10MΩ)I
I=1.5x10^-7A
V=IRi
V=(1.5x10^-7A)(666.67Ω)
V=1x10^-4V is what is read on the voltmeter

IRi is the potential drop across the internal resistance. You have to subtract it from the emf to get the terminal voltage, measured by the voltmeter. V=emf-IRi.

(A voltmeter measures the voltage across its own internal resistance, it is 10 MΩ now. So also V=IRv)

ehild

Okay :) got it!

Sastronaut said:
Okay :) got it!

You see the voltmeter measures the true voltage of the cell if its resistance is much higher than the internal resistance of he cell. It is very essential to use high resistance voltmeters.

ehild

What is a direct current circuit?

A direct current circuit is an electrical circuit in which the current flows in one direction only, from the positive terminal of the power source to the negative terminal. This type of circuit is commonly used in batteries, solar panels, and electronic devices.

How is direct current different from alternating current?

Direct current (DC) flows in one direction only, while alternating current (AC) changes direction periodically. AC is commonly used in household electrical systems, while DC is more commonly used in smaller electronic devices.

What are the components of a direct current circuit?

The main components of a direct current circuit are the power source (such as a battery), conductors (such as wires), and load (such as a light bulb or motor) that use the electrical energy to perform a task.

What is the role of a resistor in a direct current circuit?

A resistor is a component that resists the flow of current in a circuit, causing a drop in voltage. This is useful for controlling the amount of current flowing through a circuit and preventing damage to other components.

How can I calculate the voltage, current, and resistance in a direct current circuit?

Ohm's Law is commonly used to calculate the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a direct current circuit. It states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). This can be written as V=IR or rearranged to solve for any of the three variables.