Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direct Current switching

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1
    Hi guys. I recently posted to discuss on switching signals. I have resolved that.

Now, Im trying to switch a DC voltage/current.

Say Im supply a DC stable bias current of about 40 mA. If I want to switch it off at certain time interval, maximum of 40 us. Which means, the maximum pulsewidth of the control pulse will be 40 us.

After 40 us, I don't want any direct current to go through the switch.

Can anyone suggest a switching IC operates at this region? I googled it, and I dont seem to get a right answer.

Any advice please?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You can use Analog Switch ICs, or you can make a controllable current source. What is the application?

4. Aug 3, 2011 #3
    Most IC's that I have seen doesn't operate in DC. Its for biasing a laser. We have to supply a certain amount of current, say 40 mA to drive it.

I just want to switch it off at some time interval. Do you have suggestion. Thanks for your reply.

5. Aug 3, 2011 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

6. Aug 4, 2011 #5
    Hi Berkeman. Do you have any example of a switched current source. Its just me working in this project. Cheers.

7. Aug 4, 2011 #6

es1

You mention the maximum pulse with is 40uS.
    What is the minimum?

Also, you'll want to decide if you want to pull current though the load or source current into the load.
    http://www.automationdirect.com/static/specs/sinksource.pdf

Anyway, if you want to source current from the supply section 4 and 5 in this document show how to make a simple one that will be fast enough to settle in a few uS and have ok accuracy.
    http://www.tedpavlic.com/teaching/osu/ece327/lab1_bjt/lab1_bjt_transistor_basics.pdf

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook