Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direct Product of Cyclic Groups

1. Nov 6, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering if the following claim is true:

Let ##G_1## and ##G_2## be finite cyclic groups with generators ##g_1## and ##g_2##, respectively. The group formed by the direct product ##G_1 \times G_2## is cyclic and its generator is ##(g_1,g_2)##.

I am not certain that it is true. If I make the following stipulation

Let ##G_1## and ##G_2## be finite cyclic groups with generators ##g_1## and ##g_2##, respectively, and the group formed by the direct product ##G_1 \times G_2## is cyclic, then it has the generator ##(g_1,g_2)##.

this might be true. However, I would like to hear from you before I try to go prove something that is false.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2014 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The product is cyclic iff the orders are relatively-prime. In the direct product, you have:

## |G_1 \times G_2|=|G_1| \times |G_2| ## . Then, if you can find an element in the product with that
    order, you are done.

4. Nov 6, 2014 #3
    More importantly, I am interested in knowing if the generator of ##G_1 \times G_2## is based off the generators of the individual groups ##G_1## and ##G_2##.

Or is this not true in general?

5. Nov 6, 2014 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Notice that the generator of a cyclic group is not necessarily unique.

RE your question on relation between individual generators and generators of the product: yes, it is. Let ## g_1, g_2 ## be generators for ##G_1, G_2 ## respectively. Then there are positive integers ##m,n## with

##g_1^n=e_{G_1} , g_2^m = e_{G_2}##. What is then the order of ## (g_1, g_2)## ?

6. Nov 7, 2014 #5
    Let's see if I understand this correctly: Let ##|G_1| = x## and ##|G_2| = y##, and let both be both cyclic with the generators alluded in the above posts. If this is so, then ##\langle g_1 \rangle = G_1 \implies |\langle g \rangle | = x##, with a similar thing being true of ##G_2##. Furthermore, ##|G_1 \times G_2 | = xy##. There is a theorem that I proved which shows that the direct product of two subgroups produces a subgroup of the direct product of the larger group(s). Therefore, ##\langle g_1 \rangle \times \langle g_2 \rangle## is a subgroup, and its order is ##| \langle g_1 \rangle \times \langle g_2 \rangle | = xy##. Thus, the element ##(g_1,g_2)## has an order of ##xy##, and it must generate ##G_1 \times G_2##.

Does this sound right?

7. Nov 9, 2014 #6
    The order need not be ##xy##. Take ##Z_2## which is cyclic with generator ##1##. Then in the group ##Z_2 \times Z_2##, the element ##(1,1)## has order two since ##(1, 1) \neq (0,0)##, and ##(1, 1) + (1, 1) = (0, 0)##, yet ##Z_2 \times Z_2## has order ##4##, so ##(1,1)## does not generate ##Z_2 \times Z_2##. Note ##Z_2 \times Z_2## is isomorphic to the Klein 4-group which is not cyclic. I think perhaps a look at the previous post is a good idea as it really says it all. What is the order of ##(g_1, g_2)##? It is worth looking at. LaTeX fixed, thanks Greg:)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  8. Nov 10, 2014 #7
  9. Nov 10, 2014 #8

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, the order of the product equals the product of the orders only if the orders are relatively-prime to each other.
    Otehrwise, you use the LCM.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook