1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direct products to coupled states

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    I'm a bit unclear on exactly what a coupled state really means and how to represent it, so here's what I have:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the coupling of two spinless l=1 particles,
    What possible product states [itex]|1\, m_1 \rangle \otimes |1\, m_2 \rangle[/itex] are there and what possible coupled states [itex]|1\, 1; L\, M\rangle [/itex] are there?

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]|j_1\, j_2;j\, M \rangle = \sum_{m_1, m_2}(j_1m_1;j_2m_2|jm) |1\, m_1 \rangle \otimes |1\, m_2 \rangle[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, I know the nine product states are simply vary [itex]m_1[/itex] and [itex]m_2[/itex] from -1 to 1, but what are L and M for the coupled states? The only thing I could think of and make the number of each representation match is have [itex]L_{max}=l_1 + l_2[/itex] and [itex]M=m_1 + m_2[/itex], so L goes from 0 to 2 and M corresponds, totaling 9 values as expected. This makes sense to me because the [itex]L[/itex]s need not be in the same direction, but I'm really just grasping at straws.

The next part of the problem asks to solve for some CG coefficients using a method analogous to class, but if I understand this part I'm pretty certain that I can do the other part.

Thanks for your time!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?