Proving Proposition: ##\forall x (P(x) \implies Q(x))##

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
In summary: In any case, once that proof is established, you can immediately deduce ##\forall x (P(x) \implies Q(x))## by the rule of universal generalization. So, the first step in proving a proposition of the form ##\forall x (P(x) \implies Q(x))## is to provide a proof for ##P(c) \implies Q(c)## for an arbitrary c in the domain of discourse.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

What is the first step in proving a proposition of the form ##\forall x (P(x) \implies Q(x))##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So this isn't exactly a homework question, but I am just trying to figure things out. So say that we have a conjecture of the form ##\forall x (P(x) \implies Q(x))##. In my textbook, it says that to (formally) prove a proposition such as this, we first prove ##P(c) \implies Q(c)##, where c is an arbitrary element of the domain of discourse, and then by the inference rule of universal generalization, conclude that ##\forall x (P(x) \implies Q(x))##.

However, I confused as to how to get to the second step. First we begin with ##\forall x (P(x) \implies Q(x))##. So to get to ##P(c) \implies Q(c)## don't we need to apply universal instantiation? And to apply universal instantiation, don't we first need to know that ##\forall x (P(x) \implies Q(x))## is true? Isn't that kind of circular?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

What is the first step in proving a proposition of the form ##\forall x (P(x) \implies Q(x))##

Homework Equations

So this isn't exactly a homework question, but I am just trying to figure things out. So say that we have a conjecture of the form ##\forall x (P(x) \implies Q(x))##. In my textbook, it says that to (formally) prove a proposition such as this, we first prove ##P(c) \implies Q(c)##, where c is an arbitrary element of the domain of discourse, and then by the inference rule of universal generalization, conclude that ##\forall x (P(x) \implies Q(x))##.
I don't see that a second step is needed. Since c is chosen arbitrarily, and ##P(c) \implies Q(c)##, you can conclude that ##P(x) \implies Q(x)## for any x in the domain you're considering.
Mr Davis 97 said:
However, I confused as to how to get to the second step. First we begin with ##\forall x (P(x) \implies Q(x))##. So to get to ##P(c) \implies Q(c)## don't we need to apply universal instantiation? And to apply universal instantiation, don't we first need to know that ##\forall x (P(x) \implies Q(x))## is true? Isn't that kind of circular?

Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The statement ##P(x) \implies Q(x)## might be a theorem of some kind. Then establishing ##P(c) \implies Q(c)## amounts to giving a proof of the theorem. That may be easy, or it might be very difficult.

What is the definition of "Proving Proposition: ##\forall x (P(x) \implies Q(x))##"?

The proposition ##\forall x (P(x) \implies Q(x))## means "for all x, if P(x) is true, then Q(x) is also true." In other words, it is a statement that asserts a relationship between two conditions, P(x) and Q(x), for all possible values of x.

Why is it important to prove this proposition?

Proving this proposition is important because it allows us to establish a logical relationship between two conditions and show that it holds true for all possible values of x. This can help us to make conclusions and predictions based on this relationship, and is a key aspect of the scientific method.

What are some common strategies for proving this proposition?

There are several common strategies for proving this proposition, including direct proof, proof by contrapositive, proof by contradiction, and proof by induction. Each of these methods involves using logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to show that the given proposition holds true for all values of x.

What are some potential challenges when attempting to prove this proposition?

One common challenge when proving this proposition is ensuring that the logical relationship between P(x) and Q(x) is accurately represented and supported by evidence or mathematical principles. Another challenge may be finding a suitable proof strategy that is applicable to the specific proposition and conditions involved.

How can the proof of this proposition be applied in scientific research?

The proof of this proposition can be applied in scientific research by providing a solid foundation for making conclusions and predictions about the relationship between two conditions. This proof can also serve as a starting point for further investigation and experimentation, helping to guide the direction of future research.