Proving Direct Proportion of \frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{y} with \frac{1}{x}

• Thread starter Reshma
  • Start date
In summary: I think it is from Euclid's Elements.It states that the sum of two quantities is equal to the sum of their parts.
Reshma
This seems to be a simple question. But I'm rather dubious at a particular step.
The question is: Prove
[tex]\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{y}[/tex] is directly proportional to [tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex]

This how I went about it:
[tex]\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{y}=\frac{y-x}{xy}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{y-x}{xy}=[\frac{y-x}{y}]\frac{1}{x}[/tex]

Can we say the quantity on the right hand side is proportional to [tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what does proportional mean?

I'll give a more practical definition: If the quantity on the right hand side increases or decreases then the quantity on the left hand side also increases or decreases.There is a constant which can be any real number which relates the two quantites.

Now, in context to this question: Can you call the term in the parenthesis a 'constant' since both 'x' and 'y' are variables?

So when you say

[tex] a \propto b [/tex]

you mean that there's some [itex]k[/itex] independent of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] such that

[tex] a = k b[/tex]?

or to be more precise, [itex]a \propto b[/itex] iff [itex]\frac{da}{db}[/itex] is constant.

Then

[tex] \frac{1}{x} - \frac{1}{y} \propto \frac{1}{x}[/tex]

is indeed false.

For example, just let [itex] u = \frac{1}{x}[/itex], and [itex]v = \frac{1}{y}[/itex]. Then your question is to prove

[tex]u - v \propto u[/tex]

which is silly unless [itex]v \propto u[/itex] (easy to prove), and presumably [itex]y[/itex] is independent of [itex]x[/itex] in your question~

I imagine that your teacher isn't using that definition for proportionality, because otherwise he/she is being very silly~

Last edited:
I know this a silly sum. But I think more precise definition of proportionality would be the geometrical one:

[tex] y \propto x [/tex]

[tex] y = m x[/tex]
m is the slope. With variable y on y-axis and variable x on x-axis.

Yeah, that's the same as the one I gave in a different form :smile:

[tex] y \propto x \Longleftrightarrow \frac{dy}{dx} \ \mbox{is constant} [/tex]

Nope,in the way it's formulated,it definitely doesn't match our understanding of direct proportionality.

Daniel.

Of course the x and y above are different from the question.
The result of this question seems obivious by your second method and you can get a straight line on a graph considering :
[tex] \frac{1}{x} - \frac{1}{y}[/tex]
on y-axis &
[tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex]
on x-axis.

Actually, my definition doesn't work! Ignore it! That's what I get for staying up all night writing lab reports.

Your geometrical one is fine though. They aren't the same, I'm just silly when I haven't slept in a day :wink:

Nope,direct proportionality means

[tex] a \propto b \leftrightarrow a=k b,k\in R^{*}_{+} [/tex]

Daniel.

What's [tex]R^{*}_{+}[/tex]?

'k' can be any real number, right?

The real positive semiaxis.

[tex] \mathbb{R}_{+}^{*}=:\{x\in \mathbb{R}| x>0 \} [/tex]

Daniel.

But the spring constant 'k' in the restoring force of an oscillating body is given by:
F = -kx , x-displacement

Last edited:
That's not a correct formula.F=-kx.It's not a direct proportionality.As "x" increases,the force decreases & viceversa.

Daniel.

Reshma said:
This seems to be a simple question. But I'm rather dubious at a particular step.
The question is: Prove
[tex]\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{y}[/tex] is directly proportional to [tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex]

This how I went about it:
[tex]\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{y}=\frac{y-x}{xy}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{y-x}{xy}=[\frac{y-x}{y}]\frac{1}{x}[/tex]

Can we say the quantity on the right hand side is proportional to [tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex]?
No, because [tex]\frac{y-x}{y}[/tex] is not a constant. A change in x changes both terms.

The solution

I have found the solution to this question. The problem was the crucial 'missing' component. Now, don't blame me, the source of this question is a very bad text. Let me demonstrate how 'excruciatingly' simple the solution is.

The missing component:

[tex] y \propto x [/tex]

Now the proof:

[tex] y \propto x [/tex]
Hence;
[tex]\frac{1}{y} \propto\frac{1}{x} [/tex]
So;
[tex]\frac{1}{y} \ = k \frac{1}{x} [/tex]
k= constant

Consider,
[tex]\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{y}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{y} = \frac{1}{x} - k \frac{1}{x}[/tex]

Hence;
[tex]\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{y} = (1-k)\frac{1}{x} [/tex]

Finally,
[tex](\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{y})\propto\frac{1}{x}[/tex]

Voila... :biggrin:!

You mean "voilà"...:wink: Yeah,hopefully you'll be more careful in the future.You had us all puzzled...

Daniel.

Or as teenagers nowadays like to say "Viola"! I figure about 10% of them know it's a joke, the other 90% really think that's the correct pronunciation of "voilà".

Well, I don't have a French PC.

What is direct proportionality?
In ordinary life I understand it.For example if I buy more tickets i will more pay.But in physical formula I don t understand it.For example in formula of momentum we have p=m*v.But why is there " * "?Why not "+"?That means p=m+v?I know that is stupid question,but I m down.
From what is this formula,p=m*v derived?
Thanks

1. What is direct proportion?

Direct proportion refers to the relationship between two quantities where a change in one quantity results in a proportional change in the other quantity. This means that as one quantity increases or decreases, the other quantity also increases or decreases by the same factor.

2. How is direct proportion represented mathematically?

In mathematics, direct proportion is represented by the equation y = kx, where y and x are the two quantities and k is the constant of proportionality. This means that y is directly proportional to x, and any change in x will result in a proportional change in y.

3. How is the constant of proportionality determined?

The constant of proportionality, k, is determined by finding the ratio of any two corresponding values of y and x. This means that k = y/x. Once the value of k is known, it can be used to determine the value of y for any given value of x.

4. What is the significance of using fractions in proving direct proportion?

Using fractions in proving direct proportion allows for a more accurate representation of the relationship between two quantities. In the equation y = kx, the value of k can be represented as a fraction, such as 1/x. This allows for a more precise determination of the constant of proportionality.

5. How is the equation \frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{y} = \frac{1}{k} used to prove direct proportion?

The equation \frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{y} = \frac{1}{k} can be used to prove direct proportion by showing that the values of x and y are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as x increases, y decreases by the same factor, and vice versa. The value of k, or the constant of proportionality, can be determined by finding the ratio of any two corresponding values of x and y.