1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direct Sum Problem

1. Oct 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let Pn denote the vector space of polynomials of degree less than or equal to n, and of the form p(x)=p0+p1x+...+pnxn, where the coefficients pi are all real. Let PE denote the subspace of all even polynomials in Pn, i.e., those that satisfy the property p(-x)=p(x). Similarly, let PO denote the subspace of all odd polynomials, i.e., those satisfying p(-x)=p(x). Show that Pn=PE[tex]\oplus[/tex]PO.

2. Relevant equations
    Conditions for direct sum.

3. The attempt at a solution

PE=p1x+...+pn-1xn-1
    PO=p0+p2x2+...+pnxn
    such that n[tex]\in[/tex]{even real numbers}
    therefore, PE[tex]\bigcap[/tex]PO={[tex]\phi[/tex]}
    and PE+PO=p0+p1x+p2x2+...+pn-1+xn-1+pnxn=Pn

is this sufficient to show that PE[tex]\oplus[/tex]PO=Pn ?

I'm not so sure of what i have done and i know that my notations may be faulty, help please
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that works. But the intersection of PE and PO isn't {phi}. It's {0}. You've shown that everything in Pn can be written as a sum of something from PE and something from PO. I think the other thing you need to show is that those choices are unique.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  4. Oct 25, 2008 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You have the even and odd polynomials switched.
    I would represent PE as p0 + p1x + p2x^2 + ... + p2nx^2n
    and PO as p1x + p3x^3 + ... + p2n-1x^(2n-1), in both cases where n is in the nonnegative integers.

To show that Pn = PE [tex]\oplus[/tex] PO, don't you have to show that any arbitrary polynomial in Pn can be written as the sum of one polynomial from PE and another from PO? I'm a little rusty on this, so there might be some more that you have to show.

5. Oct 25, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes there is, you want to show that this decomposition is unique. E.g. Pn=Pn+PE. But that's not a direct sum.

6. Oct 26, 2008 #5

I figured i switched them, i guess i was a litle sleepy while typing. Thanks a lot though

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?