1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direct sums

1. Sep 19, 2004 #1
    I have to prove or give a counter example to the statement if U1, U2, W are subspaces of V such that V=U1 direct sum W and V=U2 direct sum W, then U2=U1.

This is what I did: Let v be an element of V. Then v=v1+v2 for v1 an element of U1 and v2 and element of W and v=v3+v2 for v3 an element of U2. So v-v2=v1 and v-v2=v3. Therefore v1=v3. Hence U1=U2 since every vector in each subspace is the same.

I just feel like I am missing something to make my small proof 100% airtight. Should I mention somewhere that v is represented in a unique way since V=U1 direct sum W and V=U2 direct sum W?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2004 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Be careful, how do you know whether your v2 in the expression v=v1+v2 is the same v2 as the one in v=v3+v2?

4. Sep 19, 2004 #3
    I guess I could explicity write that v2 is the same vector in both situations.

5. Sep 19, 2004 #4
    Actually, doesn't v2 have to be the same for both situations since v is the same? Since V is a direct sum of both subspaces then v has a unique representation so v2, has to be the same right?

6. Sep 19, 2004 #5

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's true. But I would write that out explicitly, it doesn't appear trivial to me. I'd use a basis of V to write v, then take those vectors that are in U1 to form a basis for U1, the rest will form a basis for W. Then the result follows from the uniqueness of the basis expansion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?