Solving Direct Variation Problem: 1-y = 2x

• Thread starter Hayabusa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variation
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving direct variation and the difficulty the individual is having in solving it. They ask for help and are given an explanation of direct variation and some questions to help them start the problem.
Hayabusa
I am having a lot of difficulty with this problem . I don't have the slightest idea on how to do this problem and my textbook does not explain it. Please help me:

Determine whether 1 - y = 2x is a direct variation. If so explain.

This problem has me stumpted and very frustrated. :confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A relationship between two variables such that the data increase or decrease together at a constant rate is called direct variation.

When x increases or decreases, what happens to y?
Is there a constant relationship between x and y?

It never ceases to amaze me that people think they should be able to do a problem in which they don't know what the key words mean.

The whole point of this question is the definition "direct variation". As whozum said "A relationship between two variables such that the data increase or decrease together at a constant rate is called direct variation.
(I emphasized the crucial part.)

Whozum then asks "When x increases or decreases, what happens to y?
Is there a constant relationship between x and y?". I'll be more specific: when x= 1 what is y? When x doubles to 2, what is y? Did y also double? Is this "direct variation"?

I don't mean to be a pest, but I still do not comprehend how to do this problem. Can I get a little more help. :redface:

Start by answering as many of the questions I asked as you can!

I know what the words mean, I just don't know how to solve the problem. I read the same definitions in the chapter. But the book doesn't show me how to solve the problem. If you can be so kind and help me start the problem I'd appreciate it.

Alright, I'll give you one more chance!
Answer these questions:
What is f(1)?

What is f(2)?

2 is exactly twice 1. Is f(2) exactly twice f(1)?

1. What is direct variation?

Direct variation refers to a relationship between two variables in which one variable changes proportionally with respect to the other. In other words, as one variable increases, the other variable also increases at a constant rate.

2. How do you solve a direct variation problem?

To solve a direct variation problem, you need to use the formula y = kx, where k is the constant of variation. You can determine the value of k by plugging in the given values for x and y and solving for k. Once you have the value of k, you can plug it back into the formula to find the value of y for any given x.

3. What does the equation 1-y = 2x mean in terms of direct variation?

This equation represents a direct variation problem in which y is inversely proportional to x. This means that as x increases, y decreases, and vice versa. The constant of variation in this case is 2.

4. Can direct variation problems have negative values?

Yes, direct variation problems can have negative values. The important thing to remember is that the relationship between the two variables remains constant. So, if one variable is negative, the other variable will also be negative, but at a constant rate.

5. How can direct variation be applied in real-life situations?

Direct variation can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the cost of a product based on its weight, determining the speed of an object based on the distance traveled, or estimating the time it takes to complete a task based on the number of people working on it. In general, any situation where two quantities have a proportional relationship can be solved using direct variation.