Directed study in real analysis

In summary, this student is worrying about doing directed study because it looks hard and is worried about not doing it fast enough. They are using a book to do the work and are trying to do the work without looking at the proofs. They recommend that the student read the proofs only to get a rough idea of the proof methods and save their time for the exercises.
trancefishy
Well, this semester I'm in my first directed study in real analysis. I'm on my own. sort of worried about doing it, just got the book, and it looks kinda tough. I'm going to have to rethink how i go about classwork. i won't be rushing to get anything done before it's due or anything like that, so I'm hoping i will in fact get things done, period.

anybody have any advice on stuff, either in doing the course in general, or just doing math in a directed study setting (just me, and i get to go talk to a former prof of mine now and again for guidance).

i'm using Bartle and Sherbert's Introduction to Real Analysis 3e. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
when going through it, always try to figure out how proofs go without looking at the proofs in the text. do as much as you can without looking at the book, & peek only when you're desperate for a hint. i myself am trying to get to the point where i guess what the theorems are & to prove them, all without looking at a book, except to get the definitions.

Last edited:
My advice, as a normal-sized-brained student (*cock an eyebrow to fourier*), is that you read the proofs only in diagonal, just to get a rought idea of the proof methods. Almost all of the proofs you won't understand the first time you read them. And understanding them will sometimes take a huge precious amount of time. Save your precious time to do the exercices, which are actually designed for your skill level (unlike the proofs). Be sure you understand every exercices in your book; don't make the mistake (again!) of saying (bah, he's not going to ask about that in the exam.. because you know he WILL). These are my advices; they worked quite well for me. Good luck.

1. What is directed study in real analysis?

Directed study in real analysis is a form of independent learning where a student works with a faculty member to study and understand the principles and techniques of real analysis. It is typically undertaken by advanced mathematics students who have a strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra.

2. How is directed study in real analysis different from a regular course?

Directed study in real analysis is different from a regular course in that it is tailored to the specific needs and interests of the student. The student has the freedom to choose the topics they want to focus on and the pace at which they want to progress. In a regular course, the curriculum is predetermined and the pace is set by the instructor.

3. What are some benefits of undertaking directed study in real analysis?

Undertaking directed study in real analysis allows students to delve deeper into the subject matter and develop a stronger understanding of the concepts. It also allows for one-on-one interaction with a faculty member, providing personalized guidance and feedback. Additionally, it can help students prepare for graduate level studies in mathematics.

4. How can one prepare for directed study in real analysis?

To prepare for directed study in real analysis, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of mathematical proof techniques and to be comfortable with abstract concepts. Prior knowledge of real analysis is not necessary, as the course will cover the necessary topics.

5. What are some potential topics that can be covered in directed study in real analysis?

The topics covered in directed study in real analysis can vary depending on the interests of the student and the expertise of the faculty member. Some potential topics include limits and continuity, differentiation and integration, sequences and series, and metric spaces. Other more advanced topics such as topology, measure theory, and Lebesgue integration may also be covered.