1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Directing Low Frequencies

1. Feb 26, 2017 #1
    Hey everyone.
    I have a couple of questions in regards to the direction of sound. I am wanting to direct lower frequencies (30-60Hz). When I say direct, I mean more of a beam rather than radiating out from the front of the speaker in all directions like a traditional wave.

I have been looking at placing the speaker in the focal point of a reflector, however to do this with lower frequencies you need a fairly large reflector from what I have read. I am trying to do this with a single speaker.

So my first question is in regards to the size of reflector for these lower frequencies, can it be half or quarter wave length? Is there a way to get around this limitation of the size of the reflector?

My second question is what is the ideal size of speaker for lower frequencies? Is there a relationship between the size/diameter of the speaker and a specific wavelength?

Does anyone else have ideas for directing low frequencies with single speakers?

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Yeah, I would use a single speaker at the focus of a large parabolic reflector that is steerable, or maybe several speakers driven as a phased array. What is the application?

4. Feb 26, 2017 #3

berkeman

5. Feb 26, 2017 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The size of reflector needed to direct 30-60Hz sound effectively would be pretty big. (The wavelength is around 10m so the aperture would need to be comparable with (significantly bigger than) that.
    That would be a bulky arrangement and you could produce simple directivity (a 'doughnut' pattern) by using two speakers with anti phase connection. It would give a good null in a direction at right angles to the line between them. Unfortunately, any directive sound emitter can suffer from reflections from nearby objects. 30Hz would be very hard.

6. Feb 26, 2017 #5

berkeman

Good point!

7. Feb 26, 2017 #6

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Horn tube .

Horn tube loudspeakers are commercially available .

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  8. Feb 26, 2017 #7
    I forgot to add, that I was wondering if you could use a 1/2 or 1/4 wavelength width parabolic reflector which would reduce the size. Are there any rules or theory's around sound waves and reflectors?

9. Feb 27, 2017 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yes, you already asked that ... did you read the responses ?
    you didn't acknowledge any of them

you also didn't answer berkeman's question as to what it is you are trying to achieve

Do you realise that sound at 30 - 60 Hz is just a buzz ?

here is an example of 30 Hz .... the signal from the crab nebula pulsar

wavelength of a sound at 30Hz is 11.5 metres .... at 60 Hz = 5.7 metres
    again ... knowing what you are trying to do will determine how well a 1/4 or 1/2 wave diameter dish will perform

Dave

10. Feb 27, 2017 #9

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a diffraction problem. To produce a 'fair' directivity, your 'aperture' (reflector in this case) needs to be at least several wavelengths across or the launched wave will turn up in all directions. Such a small dish is virtually 'hardly there', as far as the waves are concerned. You can do the experiment by standing behind a wall and judging whether it makes any difference to the rumble of traffic going past. The wall may cut down the high frequencies a bit but not the low frequencies.

11. Feb 27, 2017 #10
    I remember there was a company making a special kind of speaker that used nonlinear phenomena in air to produce sound at the listener's ear. I think it had a higher frequency carrier wave (which could be directed easily), and I guess it used some kind of amplitude modulation to generate lower frequency waves. I think it was intended for stuff like museum exhibits where only the person in front of the exhibit could hear the sound. I can't remember what it was called though.

12. Feb 28, 2017 #11
    Firstly, thank you everyone who has replied here.
    The other day when I tried to see the thread all that would load was the 'Something to add box', and I couldn't see my original post, hence why i have mentioned the same thing twice! I also couldn't see any replies, hence not acknowledging anyone. So thank you.

In regards to what we are doing with it or its application, we dont have a specific application in mind, more curiosity than anything.
    We are trying to see if we could mount the arrangement on a bearing that is standing straight up, allowing the contraption to turn in a full 360 degree circle. Which would allow you to have a beam that you could 'wash' over people if you know what I mean.

Sorry I could not be more specific, this is literally just curiosity and extra time were filling in.

Essentially I am reading here that for a frequency that low we would need a reflector that is massive, too massive for what we are doing. Half or quarter wavelengths wont work?

13. Feb 28, 2017 #12

berkeman

For an effect at a concert or something? Why?

14. Feb 28, 2017 #13
    As I said, we dont really have a purpose in mind at the moment, more of a if we could do it, then I am sure we could find something to use it for. As you mentioned, in a concert or theatre could potentially be a use, if we could get it to work.

15. Mar 1, 2017 #14

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A lot of the problems would be solved if you could use multiple sources. Not a problem, these days with wireless networking. Just expensive!!!! :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted