Calculating Magnitude and Direction Cosines of a Vector in Physics

In summary, the conversation is about finding the magnitude and direction cosines of a given vector A with x, y, z components of 4, 6, and 3 respectively. The person asking the question is struggling with understanding how to find these values and is wondering why they cannot use the formula Magnitude A = sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2). They are also curious about the concept of "direction cosines" and whether they can use the rectangular length instead of the formula. Ultimately, the conversation also touches on the fact that these are mathematical concepts rather than specific to physics.
tdusffx
I just started physics this year and having a difficult time, lol.

anyways, my question is:

suppose I was given a vector A, and A has x, y, z components of 4,6,3

How would I find its magnitude of A and the cosines of the angles that makes B?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's like finding the length of a diagonal of a rectangle of length, breadth and depth of 4, 6, and 3 respectively, by the Pythagoras's theorem. And what's B?

i'm sorry, I meant what are the angles that make vector A, sorry.

also, I'm just wondering why I can't apply the formula Magnitude A = sqrt (x^2, y^2, z^2)

I just want to know if I use the |A| = sqrt (x^2 + y^2 + z^3)

or the rectangular length like bel has mentioned above.

tdusffx said:
I just want to know if I use the |A| = sqrt (x^2 + y^2 + z^3)

Yep, you can. :smile:

hmm, ok thank you guys for the help.

1. What are direction cosines?

Direction cosines are the projections of a vector onto the three coordinate axes. They are used to define the direction of a vector in three-dimensional space.

2. How are direction cosines calculated?

Direction cosines can be calculated by dividing the components of a vector by its magnitude. For example, the direction cosine along the x-axis would be the x-component of the vector divided by its magnitude.

3. What is the relationship between direction cosines and unit vectors?

Direction cosines and unit vectors are closely related. The direction cosines of a vector can be used to calculate its unit vector, and vice versa. The unit vector is simply the vector divided by its magnitude, which is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the direction cosines.

4. How do direction cosines relate to vector addition and subtraction?

Direction cosines play an important role in vector addition and subtraction. When adding or subtracting vectors, the direction cosines of the resulting vector can be calculated by adding or subtracting the direction cosines of the individual vectors.

5. Why are direction cosines important in physics and engineering?

Direction cosines are important in physics and engineering because they help define the orientation and direction of vectors in three-dimensional space. They are used in various calculations involving forces, velocities, and other physical quantities.