Understanding the Direction Field of y'=cos(πx)

In summary, when solving for y', which is a function of cosine, the value of y' must be within [-1,1]. Plotting the direction field for this function can be confusing, as it may result in a set of points rather than a continuous curve. This makes it difficult to plot an isocline, which is a line of constant slope. Different values of y' can result in different sets of points, such as those for y' = 0 and y' = 1 or -1. This can make it challenging to accurately plot a solution curve from the direction field.
ajayguhan
This isn't a home work, so only I'm posting here

When we solve y'=cos(πx) we'll get y=sin(πx)/π +C. But plotting direction field seems little confusing for me

Since y' is a function of cosine , the value of y' must be within [-1,1].

If i took y' as 0 and tried to plot it and I'm getting set of points such as (...-2.5, -1.5, -0.5, 0.5, 1.5, 2.5,...)

I can't draw a isocline since here it is discontinuois.

Similarly by setting y' has 1, -1 we'll get points such as (...-4, -2, 0, 2, 4...) & (...-5, -3, -1, 1, 3, 5...)

Now how the solution curve should be plotted from the direction field, without isocline (i mean here isocline is just set of points not a curve)...

Physics news on Phys.org
No one knows where I'm wrong...?

What is a direction field?

A direction field is a visual representation of the slope of a function at each point on a graph.

How do you plot a direction field?

To plot a direction field, you first need to find the slope of the function at each point by taking the derivative. Then, at each point on the graph, draw a small line segment with the slope you calculated. Repeat this for multiple points to get an accurate representation of the direction field.

What does it mean if the direction field is densely packed?

If the direction field is densely packed, it means that the function has a high rate of change at many points on the graph.

What can you learn from a direction field?

From a direction field, you can learn about the behavior of a function and how it changes over its domain. You can also determine where the function is increasing, decreasing, or constant.

How can a direction field be used to solve differential equations?

Direction fields can be used to solve differential equations by visually identifying the direction in which the function is changing and using this information to determine the behavior of the function at different points.