1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of a current

1. Aug 10, 2016 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown
    This is the question:
    At a certain location in the Philippines, Earth’s magnetic field of 39 µT is horizontal and directed due north. Suppose the net field is zero exactly 8.0 cm above a long, straight, horizontal wire that carries a constant current. What are the magnitude and direction of the current?

I had no problem finding the magnitude of the current, but I'm struggling with visualizing the direction of the current. I didn't really understand what "horizontal and directed due to north" meant.

Is anyone able to illustrate what is going on with the magnetic field and how the wire is affecting the field?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2016 #2
    Alright so your basic plan of attack is to use the right hand rule. If there is a magnetic field pointing north and there is a wire running perpendicular to it: in what direction must the current flow to have its magnetic field oppose the one already present? I hope this rephrasing helps you some.

4. Aug 10, 2016 #3
    This is how I'm visualizing. The answer says the current flows from west to east, but I don't see how the magnetic field is being cancelled by the current.
    MehXlBa.png

5. Aug 10, 2016 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Map it by cm increments.

6. Aug 10, 2016 #5
    what do you mean

7. Aug 10, 2016 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Eight cm, nine cm, ... seven cm.

8. Aug 10, 2016 #7
    I know, but I don't see how that would help me with the visualization. I have it scaled on paper, but I still don't get why the direction of the current must go from west to east instead of the opposite

9. Aug 10, 2016 #8

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Is the conductor above or below the zero-field height?

10. Aug 10, 2016 #9
    The wire carrying the current is 8cm below the point where the net field is equal zero.

11. Aug 10, 2016 #10

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Only at one point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted