1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of Acceleration

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1
    Three forces acting on an object are given by vectors F1=(-2i + 2j)N, F2 = (5i - 3j)N, and F3 = (-45i)N. The object experiences an acceleration of magnitude 3.75m/s^2.

What is the direction of acceleration?

So far i've got the resultant vector, but i'm not sure what to do with the vector.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to Physics Forums, Nanoath!

What equation or equations are you familiar with, that have to do with forces and acceleration?

4. Sep 17, 2008 #3
    I'm familiar with kinematic equations and newtons laws.

So far i've gotten the resultant vector and used tan^-1(1/42) to find an angle of 1.364, i just need to know if i'm on the right track.

5. Sep 17, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you're on the right track. A couple of comments:

1. The direction of the force, 1.364 degrees, is measured relative to what (i.e., counterclockwise from +x axis, or something else?)

2. One of Newtons laws will give you the acceleration direction, given the force direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?