Direction of acceleration of a yo-yo

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of acceleration of the center of mass of a yo-yo when pulled horizontally with a force. The expert suggests that the direction of acceleration would be opposite to the pulling force, but also takes into account the rotation of the yo-yo. They also mention the forces acting on the center of mass, including the pull force and the force of friction. The expert concludes that the acceleration of the center of mass should be in the same direction as the pull force.
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

A yo-yo is placed on a table with a rough horizontal surface. the string is wound around the center of the yo-yo several times. The string is held so that it exits the yo-yo horizontally on the lower side of the stem. The string is then pulled horizontally with a force of magnitude F.

Assume the yo-yo rolls without slipping.

What is the direction of the acceleration of the center of mass of the yo-yo when pulled?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the yo-yo would roll in the opposite direction of the pulling force therefore making the acceleration opposite in direction of the pulling force.

Does this sound right?

I wish i had a yo-yo to test this one out :(

thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
mybrohshi5 said:

I thought the yo-yo would roll in the opposite direction of the pulling force therefore making the acceleration opposite in direction of the pulling force.

I think you mean that the direction of acceleration would be in the opposite direction of the pulling force, correct? I think that you also need to keep the rotation of the yo-yo in mind when you do this problem. I'm sure someone else knows better than I do...

Yes i believe that the acceleration of the center of mass of the yo-yo is opposite in direction of the pulling force.

i solved the problem right i am just having trouble figuring out the direction of the acceleration of the center of mass of the yo-yo.

Can anyone verify or critique my answer?

thank you :)

What are all the forces acting on the center of mass, and their directions?

The pulling force which i am saying is to the right.

The force of friction is also to the right.

does that sound like all of them?

so if all the forces are to the right would the acceleration of the center of mass be to the right?

Why would the force of friction be to the right? The force of friction will oppose (but never exceed in magnitude) the rest of the forces. If the only other force is to the right, then the force of friction must be to the left.

yes you are right. i was thinkin wrong. so the pull force is the the right and the friction force is to the left so the acceleration of the center of mass of the yo-yo should be in the same direction as the pull force i believe :)

1. What is the direction of acceleration of a yo-yo?

The direction of acceleration of a yo-yo depends on the direction of the force acting on it. If the force is applied in the same direction as the yo-yo's motion, the acceleration will be in the same direction. If the force is applied in the opposite direction, the acceleration will be in the opposite direction.

2. Does the direction of acceleration always change when a yo-yo moves?

No, the direction of acceleration does not always change when a yo-yo moves. If the yo-yo is moving at a constant speed, there is no change in acceleration. However, if the yo-yo is speeding up or slowing down, the direction of acceleration will change.

3. How does the direction of the yo-yo's string affect its acceleration?

The direction of the yo-yo's string does not affect its acceleration. The acceleration of the yo-yo is determined by the force acting on it, not the direction of the string. However, the direction of the string can affect the yo-yo's motion and its velocity.

4. Can the direction of acceleration of a yo-yo be negative?

Yes, the direction of acceleration of a yo-yo can be negative. This means that the yo-yo is accelerating in the opposite direction of its initial motion. For example, if the yo-yo is moving to the right and experiences a force that causes it to slow down and move to the left, the acceleration would be negative.

5. How does the mass of the yo-yo affect its direction of acceleration?

The mass of the yo-yo does not directly affect its direction of acceleration. The direction of acceleration is determined by the force acting on the yo-yo, not its mass. However, a heavier yo-yo may require a larger force to accelerate it in a certain direction compared to a lighter yo-yo.