1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of concurrent forces

1. Oct 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Which is the correct diagram for concurrent forces? The left or the right one ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

• 33.png
      33.png
      File size:
      16.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Both diagrams are identical.

4. Oct 19, 2015 #3
    no , one is all the forces acted towards the circle , the another one is forces away from the circle..Which is the correct diagram for concurrent forces?

5. Oct 19, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah, so there is a context.
    My answer was based on the idea that a force can be moved along its line of action.
    Apparently the circle represents something that can be deformed so that the above rule doesn't apply any more ?

6. Oct 19, 2015 #5
    assuming they are the similar circle , no deformation occur (rigid body)Which is the correct diagram for concurrent forces?

7. Oct 19, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, I still don't get what this is about. What are concurrent forces ? And what would those forces be if they were not concurrent ? Countercurrent ? Cooperative ?

8. Oct 19, 2015 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah ! Google to the rescue. Concurrent means the lines of actions are going through one single point

9. Oct 19, 2015 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Really a good source, this google search: both pictures are concurrent forces. One is compressive.

See here (simple google!)

10. Oct 19, 2015 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And now that we know what we are looking for: the inwards or outwards isn't the deciding factor. Protract the force lines and see if they go through one single point.

For experts only: the problem statement is incomplete if it doesn't state that the forces shown are coplanar !

11. Oct 19, 2015 #10

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I like to be liked, but I like it even better when a student understands. Was this a homework exercise where you reconstructed the original picture and you now know which feature is the one that requires the most attention ?

And now that I know you can post a drawing :smile: -- how are we doing with the torque equilibrium exercise ?

12. Oct 19, 2015 #11
    no, this is not an exercise . I just dont understand the notes given by my lecturer , and i ask here

13. Oct 19, 2015 #12

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see. All clear now, I hope.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted