What is the Direction of Current Flow in a Parallel Conducting Wire?

In summary: The MF lines might attract or repel the electron because they generate a B-field around the wire. The direction of the B-field depends on the direction of the current, so the electron is either attracted to or pushed away from the wire depending on its motion.
eps1lon

Homework Statement

There an electron and its moving parallel to and above a horizontal conducting wire. When A current is allowed to pass through the wire the electron is seen to move towards the wire. The direction of current flow is...

Homework Equations

None/hand thumb rule

The Attempt at a Solution

We weren't really taught other ways to approach the problem other than using the right hand rule where we use the 1st,2nd and 3rd fingers to view the direction of the current. Please note that this is an enrichment problem and so we weren't really taught much background to this problem. I'm not very good with the concept and often find my hands hurting after trying to do it lol... I'm starting to think that the scenario is impossible since we need to know which direction the current is actually flowing in (parallel or anti parallel) to do this problem. Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hands hurting, LOL.

Have you learned the equation F = qV X B, where V is the velocity, B is the magnetic field vector, and X is the vector cross product operator?

Also, do you know what the B-field looks like around a current carrying wire?

lol my hands hurt whenever I try the right hand rule. We just learned it recently and I always look twisted/demented whenever the field direction changes and I have to move the hand around.

I was given no other information for the question and frankly I don't even know what the B field is :S we were simply taught the rhr to find out the directions usually. Any ideas with the given information?

eps1lon said:
lol my hands hurt whenever I try the right hand rule. We just learned it recently and I always look twisted/demented whenever the field direction changes and I have to move the hand around.

I was given no other information for the question and frankly I don't even know what the B field is :S we were simply taught the rhr to find out the directions usually. Any ideas with the given information?

Well, you can use the RHR to determine the B-field direction generated by a current on a wire -- see the drawings part-way down this wikipedia.org page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field

So that shows you the direction of the B-field around the wire. Then, you can also use the RHR to determine the direction of the force on the charged particle, using the equation:

F = qV X B

Where F, V and B are vectors, and X is the cross product (and q has a sign + or -). You use the RHR to determine the direction of the F vector by pointing your fingers in the direction of B, then curling your fingers toward the direction of qV (watch the sign), and that makes your thumb point in the direction of the force.

Would it be anti parallel to the velocity of the electron?

eps1lon said:
Would it be anti parallel to the velocity of the electron?

Quite possibly. Why do you say that?

Um, that's really weird, cause when I read the question, I assumed that it was just a random electron. So if it is, and its floating near a wire, I think that the electron would go towards the wire as soon as it is turned on, no matter what direction the current is flowing. Of course, I don't know a WHOLE lot about magnetism, especially the effects of magnetism on charged particles, other than repulsion and attraction.

Last edited:
KalvinDeathX said:
Um, that's really weird, cause when I read the question, I assumed that it was just a random electron. So if it is, and its floating near a wire, I think that the electron would go towards the wire as soon as it is turned on, no matter what direction the current is flowing. Of course, I don't know a WHOLE lot about magnetism, especially the effects of magnetism on charged particles, other than repulsion and attraction.

No, follow the links I posted and look at how the B-field circles around the wire when there is a current flowing. The force on the moving electron depends on the direction of the B-field, which reverses for a reverse current. That's why the electron is either attracted to the wire or pushed away -- it just depends on the motion of the electron in relation to the motion of the current.

So I don't get it. Why would the MF Lines attract or repel the electron anyways? Wouldn't the electron fall into a sort of circular magnetic orbit, and then get flung away because of inertia when it tries to change direction? If I explained that badly, look at this picture courses.science.fau.edu/~rjordan/busters_22/1.14q.gif its the best illustration of what I am thinking. Stupid URL rule.

Last edited:
that picture represents static electricity right? that means it's an E-field rather than a B-field.

anyway, for the electron to be affected by the B-field, the electron needs to be moving perpendicular to the B-field, as given by the Lorentz force law, F = q (E + v x B). if the quantity v is zero, there is no force (and I'm assuming the E fields produced by the wire are negligable), so the electron will not fall into some circular orbit.

remember, the electron is negatively charged in the elctricity sense (i don't know how else to phrase this haha). it will follow the electric field lines when left alone alone in the presence of a field, but it is oblivious to magnetic field lines unless it is otherwise already moving.

i suppose if there were such things as magnetic monopoles, there would exist some weird magnetic-electron type particles, and they would follow the magnetic field lines, but there are no such things ([tex]\nabla\bullet B=0[/tex]). oh well

Kalvin and jae, you are kind of heading off into the weeds, there fellas. Look at the drawing at the wikipedia page that shows the shape of the B-field lines circulating around a (DC) current-carrying conductor. See how they swirl around the wire (getting weaker farther away from the wire)? The problem stated by the original poster (OP) was where an electron already had some initial velocity, in the same direction as the wire. There is no mention of any E field, so the only equation that applies is F = qV X B. Work out the instantaneous force on that electron, given that B-field (which cuts sideways through the electron's initial path), and you get a magnetic force that either pulls the electron toward the wire, or pushes it away, depending on whether the current is flowing one direction or the other in the wire.

You won't get uniform circular motion of the electron, because the B-field is not constant throughout space. If the electron is attracted to the wire, it will hit it. If it is pushed away from the wire, it will execute a more complicated motion (I think it might make oblong circles and move farther and farther away, but I'm not sure, and don't have time to work it out at the moment).

isn't that what i said? maybe i should have quoted kalvin's post. i was referring to his image, not the wiki stuff.

jae05 said:
isn't that what i said? maybe i should have quoted kalvin's post. i was referring to his image, not the wiki stuff.

I had problems with you saying something about the field was an E-field from static electricity (no idea what that meant), and that the electron was not moving initially, so there was no magnetic force (the OP question said the electron had an initial velocity, but wanted to know the direction).

jae05 said:
that picture represents static electricity right? that means it's an E-field rather than a B-field.

anyway, for the electron to be affected by the B-field, the electron needs to be moving perpendicular to the B-field, as given by the Lorentz force law, F = q (E + v x B). if the quantity v is zero, there is no force (and I'm assuming the E fields produced by the wire are negligable), so the electron will not fall into some circular orbit.

remember, the electron is negatively charged in the elctricity sense (i don't know how else to phrase this haha). it will follow the electric field lines when left alone alone in the presence of a field, but it is oblivious to magnetic field lines unless it is otherwise already moving.

i suppose if there were such things as magnetic monopoles, there would exist some weird magnetic-electron type particles, and they would follow the magnetic field lines, but there are no such things (). oh well

the picture link that kalvin posted... courses.science.fau.edu/~rjordan/busters_22/1.14q.gif

i mean as far as i know, rubbing the comb gathers static charge on the comb, which then attracts the water flow.

and i was just trying to explain the v x B thing, i didn't mean the electron wasn't moving. sorry if that was misleading haha. like if it's not moving, there's no v, and electrons are then oblivious to magnetic fields. that's what i meant

jae05 said:
the picture link that kalvin posted... courses.science.fau.edu/~rjordan/busters_22/1.14q.gif

Ohhhh. I missed that. Thanks for the clarification.

A moving electron is a moving charge and therefore a current is flowing.
We know that conventional current is in the opposite direction to electron flow.
Also we know that 2 wires that are parallel to each other will attract each other when the currents flowing in the wires are in opposite directions.
So thinking of the moving electron as a mini-wire, the original wire and this new mini-wire will attract leading to the conclusion that the direction of current flow is in the opposite direction to the current flowing in the original wire.

1. What is current flow and how is it measured?

Current flow is the movement of electric charge through a conductor. It is measured in units of amperes (A) using a device called an ammeter.

2. How does the direction of current flow affect the behavior of a circuit?

The direction of current flow determines the polarity of the circuit components, which can impact the overall behavior of the circuit. For example, in a DC circuit, the direction of current flow remains constant, while in an AC circuit, it alternates between positive and negative directions.

3. Can current flow in both directions in a circuit?

Yes, current flow can occur in both directions in a circuit, depending on the type of circuit and the components involved. In alternating current (AC) circuits, the direction of current flow changes continuously, while in direct current (DC) circuits, the direction remains constant.

4. How can the direction of current flow be changed?

The direction of current flow can be changed by altering the polarity of the circuit components. This can be achieved through the use of diodes, transistors, and other electronic components that control the flow of current in a circuit.

5. Is the direction of current flow always the same as the direction of electron flow?

No, the direction of current flow is not always the same as the direction of electron flow. In most cases, the direction of current flow is opposite to the direction of electron flow, as electrons have a negative charge and current is defined as the movement of positive charge. However, in some cases, such as in semiconductors, the direction of current flow can align with the direction of electron flow.