1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of electric field

1. Mar 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a circular region in the plane of paper, a magnetic field is directed out of the page and decreasing. What is the direction of the electric field at a point to the right of the region?

2. Relevant equations

Lenz's law

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the magnetic field is decreasing, Lenz's Law states the induced magnetic field will oppose this change, so the induced magnetic field will also point out of the page. So to the right of this region, the right hand rule says that the electric field should point towards the top of the page, but the answer in my key is to the bottom. Am I wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The magnetic field is out of the page and decreasing - this would correspond to a south pole facing the page and being drawn away ... so the page should have an induced north pole there, because it wants to pull it back.

Which would put the current circulating anti-clockwise.
    Current follows the electric field - so you seem to be right.

You could also work it from ##\nabla\times\vec E = -\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\vec B##

4. Mar 30, 2014 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree with posts 1 and 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted