1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of field/current

1. Apr 18, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 200-loop coil of cross sectional area 8.5 cm2 lies in the plane of the page. An external magnetic field of 0.060 T is directed out of the plane of the page. The external field decreases to 0.020 T in 12 milliseconds.

2. Relevant equations
    No equation

3. The attempt at a solution
    Just trying to figure what would be the direction of the magnetic field and the current in the loop. If the field is going out of the page wouldn't the magnetic flux follow suit? So wouldn't the current in the loop be clockwise? sort of stuck on this part.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2017 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Use the right-hand curl rule for magnetic polarity of a current carrying coil.
    If the field is coming out of the plane of the page, what should be the current direction?

4. Apr 18, 2017 #3
    That's the problem, right hand rule is kinda tricky for me not sure where to position my fingers for the field going in or out the page

5. Apr 18, 2017 #4

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Point your thumb out of the page (i.e. towards yourself) and curl your fingers. Thumb represents direction of the field and curled fingers denote the direction of current flow (CW or CCW).

6. Apr 18, 2017 #5
    Thanks a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted