1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of Field Vectors

1. Jul 10, 2017 #1
    I saw this thread "https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/electric-fields-magnitude-and-direction.765309/"
    If i understand this concept better now:

E1 is facing opposite its source at +3 nC because it is a positive charge and the field flows out from the charge whereas -5 nC's vector points towards its source because it is negatively charged - field lines for negatively charged particles are pointing inward.

Is that valid for all vector diagrams involving charge?

Lesson 2.2 Homework Solutions-1_Page_4.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

@chopnhack : Please be sure to use the formatting template when you create threads in any of the homework forums.

Yes. The field lines due to a point charge always lie along a line joining the point of observation to the charge. The field's direction is as you stated: dependent on the sign of the charge.

4. Jul 10, 2017 #3
    Thanks mate, it took me a bit, being thick an all... I can tell you homework is a fair deal easier now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted