Can Friction Force Cause a Rigid Body to Move Uphill?

In summary: Why not try it - get a wheel and see if you can make it roll uphill.Yes, it is possible for the sphere to move uphill if friction exceeds the component of gravity.
Sumanth
Which of the following statements are true??

OPTIONS:

A)a rotating ball is kept on a rough inclined plane.It may remain at rest till it is rotating.

B)A rigid body rolls up an inclined plane without sliding. The friction force on it will be upwards.

C)A rigid body rolls down an inclined plane without sliding. The friction force on it will be upwards.

D)A rigid body is left from rest and having no angular velocity from the top of a rough inclined plane. It moves down the plane with slipping. The friction force on it will be upwards...

Physics news on Phys.org
Neat - how are you thinking about these different options?

I thought that the first option was wrong as while rotating,,,,... when kept on rough surface due to frictional force it leads to translation

Very good - keep going.
Don't be afraid to post possible answers that are wrong - we've all been there.
It's just that I cannot tell how to advise you unless I see how you are thinking.

I think there is a typo in part A. right now it says
"A)a rotating ball is kept on a rough inclined plane.It may remain at rest till it is rotating."
That doesn't seem to make sense. I think is should say
" A)a rotating ball is kept on a rough inclined plane.It may remain at rest till it stops rotating."
in which case I think it's true.

Ok then how can u support ur statement ? Reason?

Reason?

dauto said:
I think there is a typo in part A. right now it says
"A)a rotating ball is kept on a rough inclined plane.It may remain at rest till it is rotating."
That doesn't seem to make sense. I think is should say
" A)a rotating ball is kept on a rough inclined plane.It may remain at rest till it stops rotating."
in which case I think it's true.

Ok then how can u support your statement? Reason for being at rest?

Sumanth said:
A)a rotating ball is kept on a rough inclined plane.It may remain at rest till it is rotating.
I don't understand what is meant by "is kept". Can you rephrase this option?

Doc Al said:
I don't understand what is meant by "is kept". Can you rephrase this option?

"Is kept". Means. "Is placed"

The friction force uphill might just be enough to cancel the gravity's downhill component might it not? And if it does, won't it remain at rest until it stops spinning?

Likes 1 person
dauto said:
The friction force uphill might just be enough to cancel the gravity's downhill component might it not? And if it does, won't it remain at rest until it stops spinning?

Ohh! I got it.. Thank you

Then is the fourth option correct? If so why?

Sumanth said:
Then is the fourth option correct? If so why?
What do you think and why?

dauto said:

You are right .

But I would like to know is it possible for the sphere to move uphill if friction exceeds the component of gravity ?

But I would like to know is it possible for the sphere to move uphill if friction exceeds the component of gravity ?
Why not try it - get a wheel and see if you can make it roll uphill.
Or just look and see if cars can drive up hills?

1. What is the direction of friction force?

The direction of friction force is always opposite to the direction of motion or attempted motion of an object.

2. How is the direction of friction force determined?

The direction of friction force is determined by the surface on which the object is moving and the direction in which the object is moving.

3. Can the direction of friction force change?

Yes, the direction of friction force can change if the direction of motion of an object changes or if the surface on which the object is moving changes.

4. What factors affect the direction of friction force?

The factors that affect the direction of friction force include the type of surface, the mass and shape of the object, and the force applied to the object.

5. How does the direction of friction force impact motion?

The direction of friction force can either help or hinder motion. It can either act as a resistance force that slows down an object's motion or as a propelling force that helps an object move forward.