What are the different right hand rules for E&M and when should each be used?

In summary: Quite right. The resulting magnetic field will point in the viscinity of east by southeast, using cardinal direction (a bit south of due east.)
Matt H
physicsquestion.jpg

The explanation of this question is much more important to me than just the answer (I have an answer key for this practice test).

Also, if someone could explain the different right hand rules pertaining to E&M and what situation(s) to use each in would be a HUGE help to me. I thought I had it down, but i keep confusing the hell out of myself!

Physics news on Phys.org
For this situation--the magnetic field surround a current-carrying wire--use the right-hand grip rule. Grip the wire so that your thumb points in the direction of the current--your fingers will be curling around the wire in the direction of the magnetic field.

To solve the problem, you need to add up the field contributions from each current. (Remembering that they are vectors.)

Doc has the basic explanation...or see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-hand_rule

You'll note that in your example problem some current fields add via the right hand rule and others cancel depending on current direction...they will cancel when the currents oppose and the distance of point P from those currents are equal.

This is an obviously ill-posed problem. There is no point C. :p

Born2bwire said:
This is an obviously ill-posed problem. There is no point C. :p
:tongue: Yeah, I had meant to point that out, but forgot. I assume it was a typo and that they meant point P. :cool:

Also, they did not place point P exactly between the two right-hand wires. The result will be a small downward component to B, in addition to what is probably the intended answer.

Redbelly98 said:
Also, they did not place point P exactly between the two right-hand wires. The result will be a small downward component to B, in addition to what is probably the intended answer.

Quite right. The resulting magnetic field will point in the viscinity of east by southeast, using cardinal direction (a bit south of due east.)

1. What is the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the magnetic field is the direction in which a compass needle would point if placed in the field. It is also the direction of the force that a charged particle would experience if it moved through the field.

2. How is the direction of the magnetic field determined?

The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the right hand rule. This rule states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. Can the direction of the magnetic field be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can be changed by changing the direction of the current or by reversing the polarity of the magnet. Additionally, the direction of the magnetic field can be altered by the presence of other magnetic fields.

4. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect charged particles?

The direction of the magnetic field affects charged particles because they experience a force when they move through a magnetic field. The direction of this force is perpendicular to both the direction of the particle's velocity and the direction of the magnetic field.

5. How does the direction of the magnetic field impact everyday life?

The direction of the magnetic field impacts everyday life in many ways. It is essential for the functioning of devices such as compasses, electric motors, and generators. It also plays a role in the Earth's magnetic field, which protects us from harmful solar radiation and helps animals navigate.