1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of magnetic forces

1. Mar 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two long parallel wires A and B. They are shown from a plane perpendicular to the wires.
    There is a point P with some distance "d". This creates an "L" shape if you play connect the dots and look down on the paper.

1)What is the magnetic force on wire B if only A carries a current?

In this scenario the current in wire A is headed into the paper or away from me when looking down. Using the RHR this means my fingers are curled clockwise.

2)What is the magnetic force on proton P traveling to the right(in the direction of B) if only wire A is carrying a current.

In this scenario the current in wire A is headed out of the paper or towards me when looking down. Using the RHR this means my fingers are curled counter-clockwise.

3. The attempt at a solution

1) I figured, from using the RHR, that the field at B from A points down, tangent to the circular magnetic field lines(again looking down at the paper). Since only wire A has current running through it and none through wire B that there shouldn't be any force exerted on wire B(at least i believe so). If there was current running through wire B then the force on B would either attract or repel from A depending on current direction. My answer is there is no force on B or zero force.

2)I have no clue how to work this(well i'm not confident if i do know) but if i were to try and give it a go, I would have to say that the force on the proton is going to point towards the direction the current flows which is out of the paper in this scenario. I figured i'd use the RHR yet again.

Any help(if wrong) or a clearer understanding(if right) would be nice.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Don't you need a current in both wires to get an induced force?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook