Direction of magnetic forces

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnetic force on wire B and a proton P in a scenario where only wire A is carrying a current. Using the Right Hand Rule, the force on wire B is determined to be zero as there is no current in wire B. For the proton P, the force is determined to be towards the direction of the current, which is out of the paper. However, it is mentioned that there may be a need for current in both wires to induce a force.
pyradell

Homework Statement

Two long parallel wires A and B. They are shown from a plane perpendicular to the wires.
There is a point P with some distance "d". This creates an "L" shape if you play connect the dots and look down on the paper.

1)What is the magnetic force on wire B if only A carries a current?

In this scenario the current in wire A is headed into the paper or away from me when looking down. Using the RHR this means my fingers are curled clockwise.

2)What is the magnetic force on proton P traveling to the right(in the direction of B) if only wire A is carrying a current.

In this scenario the current in wire A is headed out of the paper or towards me when looking down. Using the RHR this means my fingers are curled counter-clockwise.

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I figured, from using the RHR, that the field at B from A points down, tangent to the circular magnetic field lines(again looking down at the paper). Since only wire A has current running through it and none through wire B that there shouldn't be any force exerted on wire B(at least i believe so). If there was current running through wire B then the force on B would either attract or repel from A depending on current direction. My answer is there is no force on B or zero force.

2)I have no clue how to work this(well I'm not confident if i do know) but if i were to try and give it a go, I would have to say that the force on the proton is going to point towards the direction the current flows which is out of the paper in this scenario. I figured i'd use the RHR yet again.

Any help(if wrong) or a clearer understanding(if right) would be nice.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
pyradell said:

Homework Statement

Two long parallel wires A and B. They are shown from a plane perpendicular to the wires.
There is a point P with some distance "d". This creates an "L" shape if you play connect the dots and look down on the paper.

1)What is the magnetic force on wire B if only A carries a current?

In this scenario the current in wire A is headed into the paper or away from me when looking down. Using the RHR this means my fingers are curled clockwise.

2)What is the magnetic force on proton P traveling to the right(in the direction of B) if only wire A is carrying a current.

In this scenario the current in wire A is headed out of the paper or towards me when looking down. Using the RHR this means my fingers are curled counter-clockwise.

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I figured, from using the RHR, that the field at B from A points down, tangent to the circular magnetic field lines(again looking down at the paper). Since only wire A has current running through it and none through wire B that there shouldn't be any force exerted on wire B(at least i believe so). If there was current running through wire B then the force on B would either attract or repel from A depending on current direction. My answer is there is no force on B or zero force.

2)I have no clue how to work this(well I'm not confident if i do know) but if i were to try and give it a go, I would have to say that the force on the proton is going to point towards the direction the current flows which is out of the paper in this scenario. I figured i'd use the RHR yet again.

Any help(if wrong) or a clearer understanding(if right) would be nice.
Thanks.

Don't you need a current in both wires to get an induced force?

1. What is the direction of magnetic forces?

The direction of magnetic forces is perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the direction of motion of a charged particle.

2. How can I determine the direction of magnetic forces?

You can use the right-hand rule to determine the direction of magnetic forces. Point your thumb in the direction of the charged particle's motion, and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field. The direction your palm faces is the direction of the magnetic force.

3. Does the direction of magnetic forces depend on the charge of the particle?

Yes, the direction of magnetic forces depends on the charge of the particle. A positively charged particle will experience a force in one direction, while a negatively charged particle will experience a force in the opposite direction.

4. How does the direction of magnetic forces affect the motion of charged particles?

The direction of magnetic forces can cause a charged particle to change direction or change the radius of its circular motion. The force acts as a centripetal force, keeping the particle in circular motion.

5. Can the direction of magnetic forces be reversed?

Yes, the direction of magnetic forces can be reversed by changing the orientation of the magnetic field or the direction of motion of the charged particle. This can result in a change in the direction of the particle's motion or a change in the direction of the force acting on the particle.