1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of movement for particles in a wave

1. Oct 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question includes a graph of a wave (on a string) with several points labeled on the graph. We are asked to determine the direction of the transverse velocity of each point on the wave as well as the transverse acceleration.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the direction of transverse acceleration depends on the curvature of the wave, i.e. for negative curvature the transverse acceleration is also negative. However I'm not sure how to figure out which direction the velocity is moving in. I guessed that the points whose y-coordinates were larger than 0 had negative transverse velocity because that is the direction of equilibrium, and similarly points below the x-axis had positive transverse velocity. But this assumes the equilibrium position of the string is at x = 0, how do you tell for general case? Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted