1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of nonlinear polarization

1. Mar 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A linearly-polarized electromagnetic wave with a frequency w and with an
    intensity of 1MW/cm2
    is propagating in x-direction in a nonlinear crystal with a
    refractive index n=1.5. Assume that a second-order nonlinear optical susceptibility tensor
    for second-harmonic generation in the nonlinear crystal has only one nonzero component
    [itex]\chi^{(2)}_{zzz}(2w,w,w)=10 pm/V (10-11 m/V)[/itex]. The electromagnetic wave is polarized along [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\hat{y}+\hat{z})[/itex]-direction.

Calculate the amplitude and direction of a nonlinear polarization
    oscillating at frequency 2w in the crystal. (Use the expression for the Poynting
    vector to deduce the value of E-field in the EM wave and be careful with the
    geometry and various factors of 2 when doing calculations.)

2. Relevant equations

Poynting vector: [itex]\vec{S}=<\vec{E} \times \vec{H}>[/itex]

[itex]P_z^{(2)}(2w)=\epsilon_0 \chi^{(2)}_{zzz}(2w;w,w)E_z^2(w)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't need the amplitude explained, just the direction. (The direction is along z axis, why is that?) The linear polarization is along the same direction as the EM wave. But how do I find the direction for the nonlinear case? I tried crossing [itex]\hat{x}\ with\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\hat{y}+\hat{z})[/itex] but that gives [itex]-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\hat{y}+\hat{z})[/itex] which is wrong.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?