Polar Jet Stream Flow: Counter-Clockwise Around Earth

In summary, the polar jet stream flows counter-clockwise around the Earth due to the Coriolis effect. This is because the air at the north end of the Ferrel cell and south end of the Polar cell rises, causing a circulation in the clockwise direction. However, the polar jet actually resides in the upper northern part of the Ferrel cell, where the circulation begins to turn southward after rising. This is due to the more pole-ward direction of the rising air in the southern part of the Polar cell. The confusion may stem from the fact that the polar jet is not near ground level and has already risen and reversed direction before returning southward.
pwn01
Why does the polar jet stream flow counter-clockwise around the Earth (as viewed from the north pole)? It seems that since the air at the north end of the Ferrel Cell and the south end of the Polar Cell rises, the Coriolis effect would cause a circulation in the clockwise direction.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Air moving toward the poles is pushed Eastward by the Coriolis Force.

I've seen diagrams that show the polar jet as actually residing in the upper northern part of the Ferrel Cell rather than the upper southern part of the Polar cell. In other words it forms in the region that the circulation begins to turn southward after rising. I can see that there is a more pole-ward direction of the rising air in the southern part of the Polar Cell. What am I not understanding?

What am I not understanding?

I'm not entirely sure. Isn't the northern part of the Ferrel cell turning eastward, as any north-moving air mass is won't to do under Coriolis Force?

102500-004-FD431E88.jpg

Likes jim mcnamara
I see what you are saying. I guess that since the polar jet is not near ground level, I assumed that the circulation had already risen and reversed direction returning southward.

What is the polar jet stream flow?

The polar jet stream flow is a high-altitude, fast-moving air current that flows from west to east in a counter-clockwise direction around the Earth's poles. It is located in the upper troposphere and lower stratosphere, typically between 30,000 and 40,000 feet above the surface.

What causes the polar jet stream flow to move in a counter-clockwise direction around the Earth?

The polar jet stream flow is caused by a combination of the Earth's rotation, the temperature difference between the poles and the equator, and the Coriolis effect. These factors create a large pressure gradient that drives the movement of the jet stream in a counter-clockwise direction around the poles.

How does the polar jet stream flow impact weather patterns?

The polar jet stream flow plays a major role in shaping global weather patterns. It helps to transport warm air from the tropics to the poles and cold air from the poles to lower latitudes. This can result in the formation of storms, such as cyclones and hurricanes, as well as changes in temperature and precipitation patterns.

What are the potential effects of a distorted polar jet stream flow?

A distorted polar jet stream flow can lead to extreme weather events, such as prolonged heat waves, severe droughts, and heavy precipitation. It can also disrupt traditional weather patterns, causing unexpected and potentially damaging weather conditions.

How is the polar jet stream flow being impacted by climate change?

There is evidence that climate change is affecting the polar jet stream flow, causing it to become more variable and wavier. This can result in more frequent and severe extreme weather events, as well as changes in global weather patterns. However, more research is needed to fully understand the impact of climate change on the jet stream.