What is the direction of pressure force and why is it confusing?

In summary, pressure forces associated with fluids act toward the surface in contact with the fluid, regardless of whether the pressure is positive or negative. Negative absolute pressure is a relatively anomalous occurrence and is only relevant in certain situations such as drops and bubbles. For practical purposes, negative absolute pressure can be disregarded when considering pressure forces.
pyroknife
I am confused about the concept of pressure force.

Let's say we have some pressure acting on a flat plate. Would the force associated with this pressure be oriented into or out of the plate? Intuition obviously tells me that the pressure force is acting into the plate, but the math appear to be saying it is acting out of the plate.

Physics news on Phys.org
pyroknife said:
I am confused about the concept of pressure force.

Let's say we have some pressure acting on a flat plate. Would the force associated with this pressure be oriented into or out of the plate? Intuition obviously tells me that the pressure force is acting into the plate, but the math appear to be saying it is acting out of the plate.
As usual, that depends on the situation. If the plate is at rest, the pressure forces on the plate are matched by equal and opposite forces from the plate (I say forces, since I can easily visualize situations where there are different pressures on each side of the plate).

Forces associated with fluid pressure act toward the surface in contact with the fluid.

Likes russ_watters
pyroknife said:
...the math appear to be saying it is acting out of the plate.
What math? Show us.

Svein said:
If the plate is at rest, the pressure forces on the plate are matched by equal and opposite forces from the plate
It doesn't matter if the plate is at rest, accelerating or whatever. There is always an equal but opposite force by the wall on the fluid per Newtons 3rd Law.

pyroknife said:
Let's say we have some pressure acting on a flat plate. Would the force associated with this pressure be oriented into or out of the plate?
For positive absolute pressure the force by the fluid on the plate is into the plate.

A.T. said:
For positive absolute pressure the force by the fluid on the plate is into the plate.

Absolute pressure can only be positive.

A.T. said:

Without reading the full article (I won't have access until I get to work) I can't say for certain how these authors define absolute pressure. I suspect it is likely different than the traditional context in fluid mechanics or kinetic theory, as a negative absolute pressure would imply a negative number of molecules of something in a given space.

Last edited by a moderator:
boneh3ad said:
Without reading the full article (I won't have access until I get to work) I can't say for certain how these authors define absolute pressure.

Does the full sentence help?
Strikingly, the absolute pressure of the water within the xylem is often negative, such that the liquid is under tension and is thermodynamically metastable with respect to the vapour phase

Also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure#Negative_pressures
When attractive intermolecular forces (e.g., van der Waals forces or hydrogen bonds) between the particles of a fluid exceed repulsive forces due to thermal motion.
boneh3ad said:
I suspect it is likely different than the traditional context in fluid mechanics or kinetic theory, as a negative absolute pressure would imply a negative number of molecules of something in a given space.

For this discussion it's only relevant that a liquid can be under tension, so the force by the liquid on the walls is into the liquid (it pulls at the walls).

A.T. said:

Also:

For this discussion it's only relevant that a liquid can be under tension, so the force by the liquid on the walls is into the liquid (it pulls at the walls).

Okay but in the case where you have such a negative pressure, if it is only a result of intermolecular attraction in the fluid, then I would posit that the fluid is not tugging on the wall.

A.T. said:
Also:
Do you really feel it is worthwhile introducing this into the discussion, considering that the confusion of the OP, who is trying to understand how pressure acts in the other 99.999999999% of practical situations (i.e., not involving xylem) so that he can do his homework?

Likes russ_watters
Chestermiller said:
Do you really feel it is worthwhile introducing this into the discussion, considering that the confusion of the OP, who is trying to understand how pressure acts in the other 99.999999999% of practical situations so that he can do his homework?
My answer to the OP was :

I would have not mentioned negative pressure, if boneh3ad hadn't explicitly denied it's existence.

boneh3ad said:
Okay but in the case where you have such a negative pressure, if it is only a result of intermolecular attraction in the fluid, then I would posit that the fluid is not tugging on the wall.

This doesn't make sense either now that I think about it. Essentially, surface tension is the exception to the no negative pressure rule if I am reading correctly. So except in the case of drops and bubbles, for example, negative absolute pressure is essentially not going to occur. I'm not sure it is therefore germane to the discussion, been such a relatively anomalous occurrence.

boneh3ad said:
such a relatively anomalous occurrence.
Trees are all around us.

A.T. said:
Trees are all around us.

Oh come on, I've already admitted defeat and that you've enlightened me and now you want to go this route? Yes, it is still a relatively anomalous occurrence. Out of all of the fluid dynamics occurring in the universe (or even just on this planet), it is still a very small percentage of these phenomena in which the concept of negative absolute pressure is relevant. The volume of water in trees on Earth is, after all, pretty inconsequential compared to the volume of the water and all of the gases in the universe where this concept is not observed.

So yes, I already conceded that negative absolute pressure seems to be a thing and you've sent me off on a tangent trying to learn more about it, but please don't act like negative absolute pressures are relevant to the vast majority of fluid flows. They aren't.

1. What is the direction of pressure force?

The direction of pressure force is always perpendicular to the surface on which it acts. This means that it is directed away from the surface, towards the outside of the object or material.

2. How is the direction of pressure force determined?

The direction of pressure force is determined by the orientation of the surface on which it acts. The force is always perpendicular to the surface, regardless of the shape or size of the surface.

3. Does the direction of pressure force change with depth?

No, the direction of pressure force remains the same at all depths. This is because pressure acts equally in all directions and is always perpendicular to the surface it acts upon.

4. How does the direction of pressure force affect buoyancy?

The direction of pressure force is a key factor in determining the buoyant force on an object. If the force is directed downwards, the object will sink. If the force is directed upwards, the object will float. This is why objects with a lower density than the fluid they are submerged in will float, as the upward pressure force is greater than the downward force of gravity.

5. Can the direction of pressure force be changed?

No, the direction of pressure force is a fundamental property of pressure and cannot be changed. However, the magnitude of the force can be altered by changing the surface area or depth at which the force is acting.