Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of r-hat?

1. Nov 11, 2012 #1
    Okay, the biggest problem I'm still having 12 weeks into physics 2 is that I cannot for the life of me see how the direction of r-hat is determined. Can anyone explain it to me? Specifically in regards to Biot-Savart law, etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2012 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Please tell us which textbook you're using. Different textbooks unfortunately use different notations and conventions for things like this. If you can show us the equations that you're looking at, someone who knows the subject well can probably figure out what's what.

4. Nov 11, 2012 #3
    Okay, I'm studying for a test, looking at former solutions here: http://campus.mst.edu/physics/courses/24/Old_exams/e3_spring2012_solved.pdf [Broken]
    number 7 has me confused for line segments 1 and 2 why is r-hat in the given direction?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Nov 11, 2012 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Okay, ##\hat r## is always supposed to point from the current (wire) segment ds towards the point P where you want to evaluate ##\vec B##. It's drawn backwards on segment 1. It should point towards P. It doesn't make any difference in the final answer because the contribution from segment 1 comes out zero either way.

6. Nov 11, 2012 #5
    Thanks, I realize it didn't make a difference in that particular problem. Another old test had a similar problem where it did make a difference, but was apparently labeled correctly that was really confusing the crap out of me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook