1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Direction of 'r' vector

1. Jul 21, 2016 #1
    So I understand the with torque, T= r x F: r is a vector that points from axis to point of force, correct?

I am confused about the direction of r is a couple of other circumstances, and I wanted to know if there is handy rule.

For example a linear momentum, this diagram, does 'r' also point from center of orbit to the mass?

Also, in Biot-Savart law:

$$d{\bf{B}} = \frac{{\mu _0 }}{{4\pi }}\frac{{Id\ell \times {\bf{\hat r}}}}{{r^2 }}$$

what is the direction of 'r' ... from current to the point or the other way around??

Is there a handy rule?

Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2016 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For all possible meanings of "r"? No, but usually it's a vector describing a position, relative to some reference point.

4. Jul 21, 2016 #3

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are correct in all three cases. For angular momentum the r is from axis to CoM of the object whose angular momentum is being measured. For Biot-savart it is the vector from the wire to the point of measurement.

The handy rule is that a formula used to define a physical quantity in terms of a cross product will be written in an order that makes the vector of the physical quantity point the way we want it to point. Note how the r is the first argument to the cross product for torque and ang mom and the second argument for Biot-Savart. That's because that's where it needs to be to make the formula work.

5. Aug 6, 2016 #4

David Lewis

Gold Member

You've got the sense of r correct but I wouldn't use the term point of force . You could say instead the head of displacement vector r is a point on the force vector's line of application.

6. Aug 11, 2016 #5

David Lewis

Gold Member

Correction: Should be line of action, not line of application.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted