Calculating the Ratio of A:B with K=2.3 & 70% Product

In summary, the direction of reaction A = 2B is determined by the ratio of the actual concentrations of the reactants and products, known as the reaction quotient Q. When Q is less than the equilibrium constant K, the reaction will proceed in the forward direction to reach equilibrium. However, it is not possible to calculate Q with the given information, making it difficult to determine the direction of the reaction.
HAF
Summary:: Direction of reaction A = 2B and we know that there is 70% of products and K = 2.3

Question is: What is the direction of reaction A = 2B and we know that there is 70% of products. K = 2.3

K = B^2 / A

B:A = sqrt (K.A) / A

I have came here but what should I do now? Because when I change the concentration of A, the ratio changes too and thus I can't figure out how to calculate the ratio.

Thank you for help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
HAF said:
when I change the concentration of A
Why would you want to do that ?

In your terrible notation, what is B^2/A ?

First, if you are going to use square brackets for concentration, remember to use [B ] (with a space) for the concentration of B. Without the space, it is the command for bold type.

Are you familiar with the concept of the reaction quotient Q? It is like K, except you use the actual concentrations present in the mixture, so
Q = [Bact]2/[Aact]
whereas K = [Beq]2/[Aeq]
At equilibrium Q = K. If Q < K, the reaction has to go to the right, to increase [B ] and decrease [A], until Q = K. Vice versa if Q > K.

But here's the thing. You can't calculate Q with the data available. If "70% products" means that there are 0.3n moles of A and 0.7n moles of B in a volume V, then
Q = (0.7n/V)2/(0.3n/V) = 1.633n/V, so Q varies with n/V. (This is the case whenever there are not the same number of moles on each side of the equation.) Unless the original question supplies you with more information, you can't solve it.

Likes docnet, Mayhem and jim mcnamara

1. What is the formula for calculating the ratio of A:B with K=2.3 and 70% product?

The formula for calculating the ratio of A:B with K=2.3 and 70% product is A:B = (K * 0.7):1.

2. How do I determine the values of A and B using this formula?

To determine the values of A and B, you first need to know the value of K and the percentage of the product (in this case, 70%). Then, you can plug these values into the formula A:B = (K * 0.7):1 and solve for A and B.

3. Can this formula be used for any value of K and percentage of product?

Yes, this formula can be used for any value of K and percentage of product. Just make sure to plug in the correct values and follow the formula A:B = (K * percentage of product):1.

4. What does the ratio of A:B represent?

The ratio of A:B represents the relationship between the two quantities A and B. In this case, it shows how much more of A there is compared to B, given the value of K and the percentage of the product.

5. How can I use this ratio in my scientific research?

This ratio can be used in various ways in scientific research. For example, it can be used to determine the optimal ratio of ingredients in a chemical reaction or to calculate the proportions of different components in a mixture. It can also be used to compare the quantities of different substances in a sample.