1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of reactions

1. Mar 5, 2007 #1
    Hello, there something that doesnt make sense to me in the attached problem, P16.3. You can see from the diagram that you will have two reculting reactions, RA and RB. According to what I know from statics, the reactions will be at the same angle theta as the incline of the plate, see my solution on page 2. Why does the book's author, solve the problem using reactions that are purely horizontal and purely vertical?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Why do you think that?
    He doesn't. At the A end of the plate, the reaction force of the surface on the plate has both horizontal (friction, F) and vertical (normal force, [tex]N_A[/tex]) components. The author identifies the horizontal component as friction, but it's still part of the overall force that the surface exerts on the plate.

At the B end, the surface is smooth so there is no vertical component of reaction force, only the horizontal normal force ([tex]N_B[/tex]).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?