Shearing Force Direction in Fluid Mechanics

In summary, the shearing force acting on the object in the first diagram is in different directions because it must be applied in two different directions in order for the object to be "teared." In contrast, in the second diagram, the shearing force is in the same direction because the opposing forces in the four forces diagram cancel each other out. Both diagrams are correct representations of the forces at play.
goldfish9776

Homework Statement

why the shearing force acting on the object in the first diagram is in different direction , while in the second photo , it's in same direction ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

in my opinion , it should be in different direction , because the shearing force must be applied in 2 different direction , so that the object will be 'teared' . Which is correct?

Attachments

• IMG_20160228_111258[1].jpg
    IMG_20160228_111258[1].jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_20160228_111128[1].jpg
    IMG_20160228_111128[1].jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
Of the four shear force vectors shown in your figures, when specific ones do you think are drawn correctly (if any), which specific ones do you think are drawn incorrectly (if any), and why.

Chestermiller said:
Of the four shear force vectors shown in your figures, when specific ones do you think are drawn correctly (if any), which specific ones do you think are drawn incorrectly (if any), and why.
i think the first one is correct , because the shearing force must be applied in 2 different direction , so that the object will be 'teared' . i think the second 1 is incorrect

goldfish9776 said:
i think the first one is correct , because the shearing force must be applied in 2 different direction , so that the object will be 'teared' . i think the second 1 is incorrect
Yes, shear force requires opposing forces, but in the second diagram there are four forces, and one of them goes the other way. Both diagrams are correct.

Likes goldfish9776
I agree with haruspex. The directions of all 4 shear forces are drawn correctly in the diagrams.

In the first diagram, you are doing a shell (control volume) force balance on the fluid within the cylindrical shell between r and r + Δr. The fluid at radii greater than r + Δr is traveling more slowly than the fluid within the shell, so it is dragging the fluid in the control volume backwards (to the left). The fluid at radii less than r is traveling more rapidly than the fluid within the shell, so it is dragging the fluid in the control volume forwards (to the right).

In the second diagram, the arrow at the bottom and the arrow at the top actually represent the exact same shear force exerted by the wall on fluid filling the tube (or channel). Since the wall is stationary and the fluid is moving to the right, the wall exerts a drag force on the fluid to the left.

Chet

Likes goldfish9776

1. What is the direction of shearing force?

The direction of shearing force is the direction in which the force is applied on an object.

2. How is the direction of shearing force determined?

The direction of shearing force is determined by the direction of the applied force and the orientation of the object. It is perpendicular to the surface of the object being sheared.

3. What is the significance of knowing the direction of shearing force?

Knowing the direction of shearing force is important in understanding how an object will behave under stress. It helps in predicting the direction of deformation and potential failure of the object.

4. Can the direction of shearing force change?

Yes, the direction of shearing force can change if the direction of the applied force changes. It can also change if the orientation of the object is altered.

5. How does the direction of shearing force affect material properties?

The direction of shearing force can affect the strength, ductility, and other mechanical properties of a material. Different materials have different responses to shearing force depending on their crystal structure and composition.