1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of shearing force

1. Feb 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    why the shearing force acting on the object in the first diagram is in different direction , while in the second photo , it's in same direction ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    in my opinion , it should be in different direction , because the shearing force must be applied in 2 different direction , so that the object will be 'teared' . Which is correct?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2016 #2
    Of the four shear force vectors shown in your figures, when specific ones do you think are drawn correctly (if any), which specific ones do you think are drawn incorrectly (if any), and why.

4. Feb 27, 2016 #3
    i think the first one is correct , because the shearing force must be applied in 2 different direction , so that the object will be 'teared' . i think the second 1 is incorrect

5. Feb 28, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, shear force requires opposing forces, but in the second diagram there are four forces, and one of them goes the other way. Both diagrams are correct.

6. Feb 28, 2016 #5
    I agree with haruspex. The directions of all 4 shear forces are drawn correctly in the diagrams.

In the first diagram, you are doing a shell (control volume) force balance on the fluid within the cylindrical shell between r and r + Δr. The fluid at radii greater than r + Δr is travelling more slowly than the fluid within the shell, so it is dragging the fluid in the control volume backwards (to the left). The fluid at radii less than r is travelling more rapidly than the fluid within the shell, so it is dragging the fluid in the control volume forwards (to the right).

In the second diagram, the arrow at the bottom and the arrow at the top actually represent the exact same shear force exerted by the wall on fluid filling the tube (or channel). Since the wall is stationary and the fluid is moving to the right, the wall exerts a drag force on the fluid to the left.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted