Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of the gradient

1. Jan 1, 2008 #1
    Hi. The book I'm reading says "We define the vector that represents both the magnitude and the direction of the maximum space rate of increase of a scalar as the gradient of that scalar". But how does one know in which direction the maximum increase is?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2008 #2

mda

I suggest you consult standard sources to see how the gradient is calculated. Wikipedia is usually a good start.

4. Jan 1, 2008 #3
    I know how to calculate it. Then I guess my qustion is why the gradient is pointing in the direction of maximum increase.

5. Jan 1, 2008 #4
    gradient involves dot product, and cos is maximized when the angle is 0. That gives the direction for maximum rate.

6. Jan 1, 2008 #5

Vid

Start from the directional derivative. grad(f)*u. This is equal to |grad(f)||u|cos(x), where x is the angle between them. This is maximum when cos(x) = 1 which occurs when x = 0. Implying that the maximum rate of change is in the direction of the gradient itself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?