Direction of Torque - Understanding Angular Momentum and Precession

In summary: If you have an object that is not spinning, and you apply a torque to it, the axis of rotation will change. This change in axis will cause the object to rotate about a new axis, which is also called precession.
Kenny Lee
As I understand, precession (of top) occurs because the torque generated by weight causes a change in the angular momentum of spin. Since the angular momentum of spin is along the axis of rotation, precession results.

Here I can 'picture' the directional nature of torque.

But let's say if there was no spin, and there was a torque generated about the contact point because of weight anyway. The top topples over as a result; why doesn't the motion of the top coincide with the direction of torque.

Now that I think about what I've said, it doesn't really make sense...
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kenny Lee said:
But let's say if there was no spin, and there was a torque generated about the contact point because of weight anyway. The top topples over as a result; why doesn't the motion of the top coincide with the direction of torque.

What do you mean? It does...
Either that or I don't understand your wording.

Can you draw a picture? It might help me understand what you're trying to say.

Regards,
Sam

Was about to draw it; but decided that I could just explain in terms of a balance beam. ITs just that when I put it this way, I sound so stupid...
Okay... so I exert a force on the end of a balance beam, and a torque is generated about the pivot. The direction of torque goes into the page (if we draw it, viewed from the side). Why doesn't the motion go 'into' the page... see, sounds stupid. I just want some way, IF there is anyway at all, to 'picture' torque...
Anyway, same thing with the top. When its not spinning it topples over just like the balance beam would. How does the direction of torque 'show' itself.
With precession, I can sort of understand. Its just that what I understand seems to contradict with what happens when there is no spin.

Last edited:
The way I picture net torque on an object, is that it is the axis on which the object will rotate about.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque related to angular momentum?

Angular momentum is the measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating around an axis. Torque is directly related to angular momentum, as a larger torque will result in a greater change in angular momentum.

3. What is the direction of torque?

The direction of torque is perpendicular to both the force being applied and the axis of rotation. This is known as the right-hand rule, where the direction of torque is determined by pointing your right thumb in the direction of the force and curling your fingers towards the axis of rotation.

4. How does torque affect precession?

Precession is the phenomenon of a rotating object experiencing a change in the direction of its axis of rotation. Torque plays a crucial role in precession, as it is the force that causes the axis of rotation to change direction.

5. Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. Negative torque occurs when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of the rotation, resulting in a decrease in angular momentum.