Voyager 2's Direction & Journey Through Space

In summary, Voyager 2 is set to pass by Sirius in 300,000 years and is also expected to orbit the Milky Way for billions of years. This may be possible because Sirius is also orbiting the galaxy, and the overall motion of the Sun, Sirius, and Voyager 2 around the galactic center means that their speed relative to the Sun is negligible. A similar comparison can be made to a cyclist crossing Europe and passing London within two weeks, but also continuing to orbit the Sun for many years.
lifeonmercury
I've been reading that Voyager 2 is scheduled to pass by Sirius in about 300,000 years. Other sources state it is destined to orbit the Milky Way for billions of years. I don't understand how it can be headed toward a specific direction and orbiting the center of the galaxy at the same time.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Maybe because Sirius is orbiting the galaxy?

Likes davenn
It is heading in some direction relative to the sun. Relative to the overall motion of the Sun, Sirius and Voyager 2 around the galactic center its speed (relative to the sun) is negligible, we all orbit the galaxy in similar orbits.

Or to put it differently, when I went cycling across Europe last autumn, I was scheduled to pass London within two weeks. Other sources stated that I'm destined to orbit the Sun for many years still (and it's too early for a middle age crisis :wink:).

Likes mfb

1. What direction is Voyager 2 currently traveling in?

Voyager 2 is currently traveling in a southward direction, away from the Sun and towards the outer edges of our solar system.

2. How far has Voyager 2 traveled since its launch?

As of 2021, Voyager 2 has traveled over 18 billion kilometers since its launch in 1977. It is currently the second-farthest man-made object from Earth.

3. How long will it take for Voyager 2 to reach interstellar space?

It is estimated that Voyager 2 will reach interstellar space, where it will leave the influence of our Sun, in the next few years. However, the exact timeline is uncertain, as the boundary between our solar system and interstellar space is constantly changing.

4. What kind of data has Voyager 2 collected during its journey?

Voyager 2 has collected vast amounts of data on the planets and moons it passed by, including detailed images and measurements of their atmospheres, surfaces, and magnetic fields. It has also detected and studied the influence of the Sun's solar wind in the outer regions of our solar system.

5. Will Voyager 2 eventually come to a stop or continue on its journey indefinitely?

Voyager 2 is currently traveling at a speed of about 55,000 kilometers per hour and is expected to continue on its journey indefinitely. It is not predicted to come to a stop unless it encounters another object or is affected by external forces.