1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Direction of Wave

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I don't have an actual problem but is what I am trying to make sure I have clear is...

What direction in general is
    Asin(kx+or-wt) going?

Asin(kx+wt) Left
    Asin(kx-wt) Right
    Asin(-kx-wt)=-Asin(kx+wt) Left
    Asin(-kx+wt)=-Asin(kx-wt) Right

Acos(kx+wt) Left
    Acos(kx-wt) Right
    Acos(-kx+wt)?
    Acos(-kx-wt)?

2. Relevant equations

Asin(kx-wt) is to the right
    Asin(kx+wt) is to the left

Is what I have been taught to help me figure out the direction.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am pretty sure the ones I answered are correct but if they're please let me know.

My trouble is that as far as I know I can't take a negative out of the cos function like I can the sin function, so the only thing I have thought of thus far...

Acos(-kx+wt)=Asin(-kx+wt+pi/2)=-Asin(kx-wt-pi/2)

So I would say this goes to the right because it is minus wt.

Does that work?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

Cosine is an even function, cos(-x)=cos(x) so

Acos(-kx+wt)=Acos(kx-wt)
    Acos(-kx-wt)=Acos(kx+wt).

You can visualize the travelling of a wave by picking up a crest and seeing in what direction and with what speed it is moving.

If it is cosine A(wt-kx), a crest is at wt-kx=0. This means that at t= 0 the crest is at x=0 and at a later time t, it is at x= k/w*t. This is the same equation that holds for a body moving along the x axis with uniform velocity v=k/w in the positive direction (from left to right). In case of Acos(wt+kx), the crest is at x=-w/k*t at time t, so the crest moves in the negative direction, from right to left.

For a sine wave, Asin(wt-kx), a crest appears where wt-kx =pi/2. At t = 0 it is at x=-pi/(2k) and it moves according to the equation x= w/k*t-pi/2 that is, towards higher x values, from left to right. In case of Asin(wt+kx), the crest moves according to wt+kx=pi/2, that is x=pi/(2k)-w/k*t, in the negative direction.

ehild

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook