What factors influence the direction of emitted photons from an atom?

In summary, the direction of light emitted by an orbital transition is not correlated spatially in a free atom. While the average direction of emitted photons is zero, the conditions of the atom can affect the direction of the emitted photon. However, this can be controlled through induced emission, as seen in the creation of a laser.
delingwithbob
Hi
sorry my english I am french. :)

So I was wondering what's the direction of light?
I understand light is composed of photons and those are released when electrons
change orbit.
But if 10 000 photons are released what direction will they take and why ?
Tell me if I am wrong about some stuff (i am new to this)
Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
The light emitted by an orbital transition in general is not correlated spatially in a free atom. This means that the light is free to be emitted in any general direction, and that the "average" of the directions of emitted photons should be zero.

Since the spontaneous emission of a photon after excitation is a statistical property, with a statistical lifetime, the conditions of the atom, such as it's position, orientation etc can affect the direction of the emitted photon, if you wish to think about it in this way.

However, there are ways you can induce an atom to emit in a specific direction, with a particular polarization etc, and to get a group of atoms to emit their photons in the same direction. This is how a laser is created.

What is the direction taken by photons?

Photons, being particles of light, travel in a straight line at the speed of light. They can travel in any direction, including up, down, left, right, and diagonally.

Do photons always travel in the same direction?

Yes, photons always travel in a straight line at the speed of light. However, their direction can change if they encounter an obstacle or are affected by a force.

Can photons travel in a curved path?

While photons typically travel in a straight line, they can also travel in a curved path when they are affected by a gravitational or magnetic field.

How do photons change direction?

Photons can change direction when they interact with matter. For example, when they collide with an atom, they can be absorbed, reflected, or scattered, causing them to change direction.

What is the significance of the direction of photons?

The direction of photons is important for understanding the behavior of light and its interactions with matter. It also plays a crucial role in various applications, such as in optical devices and telecommunications.