What is the directional derivative of F at point P(1,2,1) with given direction?

Note that the gradient of $F$, $\nabla F$ is $(2x, 2y, 2z)$ and that $$\frac{dF}{ds} = \nabla F \cdot \frac{dr}{ds}$$ Therefore, to find the directional derivative, we need to find a unit vector in the direction of the vector $v = (2,4,2)$, which is the direction of the gradient. Then, the directional derivative is $$\frac{dF}{ds}\bigg|_{(1,2,1)} = \nabla F \cdot \frac{v}{||v||}$$To find a unit vector in the direction of $
Drain Brain
For a direction determined by $dx=2dy=-2dz$, find the directional derivative of $F=x^2+y^2+z^2$ at P(1,2,1)

I had no problem getting the gradient of F and evaluating it at P but when I take the directional derivative I'm stuck! I don't know how come up with a unit vector that should be dotted to the gradient of F. please help!

$\nabla F = 2\hat{a_{x}}+4\hat{a_{y}}+2\hat{a_{z}}$ at P(1,2,1)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. :) You can think of the equations $$dx = 2 \, dy = - 2 \, dz$$ as $$\frac{dx}{dt} = 2 \frac{dy}{dt} = - 2 \frac{dz}{dt} = \operatorname{constant} = k.$$ From this you can obtain that $$x = kt, \quad y = \frac{kt}{2}, \quad z = - \frac{kt}{2}.$$ Thus the direction is $$\vec{r} = k t \left( 1, \frac{1}{2}, - \frac{1}{2} \right).$$ Can you take it from here?

Fantini said:
Hello. :) You can think of the equations $$dx = 2 \, dy = - 2 \, dz$$ as $$\frac{dx}{dt} = 2 \frac{dy}{dt} = - 2 \frac{dz}{dt} = \operatorname{constant} = k.$$ From this you can obtain that $$x = kt, \quad y = \frac{kt}{2}, \quad z = - \frac{kt}{2}.$$ Thus the direction is $$\vec{r} = k t \left( 1, \frac{1}{2}, - \frac{1}{2} \right).$$ Can you take it from here?

Hi Fantini!

Why do you equate it to a constant k? And does that have to be with respect to t?

$\frac{dx}{dt} = 2 \frac{dy}{dt} = - 2 \frac{dz}{dt} = \operatorname{constant} = k.$

And in this

$x = kt, \quad y = \frac{kt}{2}, \quad z = - \frac{kt}{2}$ where did t come from?

Last edited:
He is saying that the derivatives are all proportional to a certain number. I chose to name it $k$. I also chose, somewhat randomly, a name for the variable with respect to which all coordinates are taking their derivatives. It could be $\frac{dx}{d \alpha}$, it doesn't change.

For the rest, notice that if $$\frac{dx}{dt} = k,$$ how do you solve this differential equation? One solution is $x=kt$. Same applies in the other cases. :)

Hi Everyone! :)

from the given info provided $\vec{r}$ is

$\vec{r}=kt\hat{a_{x}}+\frac{kt}{2}\hat{a_{y}}-\frac{kt}{2}\hat{a_{z}}$

taking its magnitude $|\vec{r}|=\sqrt{(kt)^2+\frac{(kt)^2}{4}+\frac{(kt)^2}{4}} = \frac{kt\sqrt{6}}{2}$

the unit vector of $\frac{\vec{r}}{|\vec{r}|}=\frac{kt\hat{a_{x}}+\frac{kt}{2}\hat{a_{y}}-\frac{kt}{2}\hat{a_{z}}}{\frac{kt\sqrt{6}}{2}} $

$\frac{\vec{r}}{|\vec{r}|}=\frac{2\hat{a_{x}}}{\sqrt{6}}+\frac{\hat{a_{y}}}{\sqrt{6}}-\frac{\hat{a_{z}}}{\sqrt{6}}$

dotting the unit vector $\vec{r}$ to $\nabla{F}$

$\vec{r}\cdot \nabla{F}= \left(2\hat{a_{x}}+4\hat{a_{y}}+2\hat{a_{z}}\right)\cdot \left(\frac{2\hat{a_{x}}}{\sqrt{6}}+\frac{\hat{a_{y}}}{\sqrt{6}}-\frac{\hat{a_{z}}}{\sqrt{6}}\right)$

$\vec{r}\cdot \nabla{F}=\left(\frac{4}{\sqrt{6}}+\frac{4}{\sqrt{6}}-\frac{2}{\sqrt{6}}\right)=\sqrt{6}$

note that I already evaluated $\nabla{F}$ at point P before I dot it to unit vector of $\vec{r}$

$\frac{dF}{dl}\bigg|_{1,2,1}=\sqrt{6}$---->>FINAL ANSWER.

But the answer in my book is 2. Can you tell where did I go wrong? Thanks!

Last edited:
I believe your answer is correct, not the book's. Let's hope others come in and check. :)

There's another thing that I need to understand about post #2 where you equate the derivatives to a constant, what's the reason behind that? I want to know it more deeply. please bear with me.

Consider a vector field ${\mathbf A}({\mathbf r})$ and a trajectory of this field ${\mathbf r}(s)$. The parameter $s$ controls where you are in the trajectory, and is usually the arc length.

You want this vector field to be tangent to the trajectory at every point. Thus, the tangent vector and the vector field must be collinear. If they are collinear then they are proportional (and vice-versa). This means they have to satisfy the condition $$d {\mathbf r} \times {\mathbf A} = 0.$$ But $$d {\mathbf r} = (dx, dy, dz)$$ and $${\mathbf A} = (A_1, A_2, A_3),$$ and so this condition means $$d {\mathbf r} = k {\mathbf A}.$$ Hence $$(dx,dy,dz) = k(A_1,A_2,A_3),$$ and therefore $$\frac{dx}{A_1} =k, \quad \frac{dy}{A_2} = k, \quad \frac{dz}{A_3} =k.$$ We usually shorten this to $$\frac{dx}{A_1} = \frac{dy}{A_2} = \frac{dz}{A_3}.$$

In our case $A_1 = 1, A_2 = \frac{1}{2},$ and $A_3 = - \frac{1}{2}$. The vector field is constant.

I disagree with the book's answer -- it should be $\sqrt{6}$. Since $$dF = 2x\, dx + 2y\, dy + 2z\, dz = (2x + y - z)\, dx$$ and $$ds = \sqrt{dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2} = \sqrt{1 + \frac{1}{4} + \frac{1}{4}}\, dx = \sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}\, dx$$

we have $$\frac{dF}{ds} = (2x + y - z)\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}$$ as the directional derivative of $F$ at the point $(x,y,z)$. Substituting $x = 1$, $y = 2$, and $z = 1$ yields $$\frac{dF}{ds}\bigg|_{(1,2,1)} = 3\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}} = \sqrt{6}$$

1. What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of how a function changes at a specific point in a specific direction. It indicates the rate of change of a function in the direction of a vector.

2. How is a directional derivative calculated?

The directional derivative is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient of the function and the unit vector in the direction of interest. This can also be expressed as the product of the magnitude of the gradient and the cosine of the angle between the gradient and the direction vector.

3. What is the significance of a directional derivative in real life applications?

The directional derivative is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to study the changes in a function in a particular direction. It can also be used to optimize processes and analyze the stability of systems.

4. Can the directional derivative have a negative value?

Yes, the directional derivative can have a negative value. This indicates that the function is decreasing in the direction of interest.

5. Is the directional derivative the same as the partial derivative?

No, the directional derivative and the partial derivative are not the same. The directional derivative measures the change of a function in a specific direction, while the partial derivative measures the change of a multivariate function in one of its variables, holding all other variables constant.