1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Directional derivative

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1
    I have a function of 2 variables. I know it increase most rapidly in the direction of the gradient, but how about in wht direction is it not increasing?

I am thinking that the gradient (dot product)(direction in which it is not increasing) = 0

Any hints?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, since you mentioned the word "directional derivative" anyway: you could check for which [itex]\vec v[/itex]
    [tex](\vec\nabla f(x, y)) \cdot \vec v < 0[/tex]
    ?

4. Dec 10, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, it is true that [itex]\vector{\nabla f}\cdot \vector v[/itex] is the directional derivative in the directional derivative in the direction of [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] (for [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] of length 1). And that tells you the derivative is 0 perpendicular to the gradient.

(CompuChip, surely you didn't mean "<"?)

5. Dec 11, 2008 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Err, no comment? :)

6. Dec 11, 2008 #5
    That is what is was thinking, since of course cos(pi/2) = 0. So the vector that is at a right angle to the gradient is in the direction of zero increase. But how do I go about finding this vector?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?