Directional Derivative

In summary: Ah, thank you I missed that. I have remodeled my work, and the solution turns out to be 0, and is correct. Thank you both for your time.
Destroxia

Homework Statement

Find the directional derivative of ##f## at ##P## in the direction of ##a##.

## f(x,y) = 2x^3y^3 ; P(3,4) ; a = 3i - 4j ##

Homework Equations

## D_u f(x_0, y_0, z_0) = f_x(x_0, y_0, z_0)u_1 + f_y(x_0, y_0, z_0)u_2 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

## f_x (x,y) = 6x^2y^3##
## f_y (x,y) = 6x^3y^2##

## f_x (3,4) = 3456 ##
## f_y (3,4) = 2592 ##

## D_u f(x_0, y_0) = 3456u_1 +2592 u_2 ##

##u = \frac {a} {||a||} = \frac {\langle 3,4 \rangle} {5} = \langle \frac {3} {5}, \frac {4} {5} \rangle##

##D_u f(x_0, y_0) = 3456(\frac {3} {5}) + 2592(\frac {4} {5}) ##

##D_u f(x_0, y_0) = \frac {20736} {5}##

Now, my program wants this an exact number, no tolerance. It won't accept division either, so I don't know how to put in 20736/5. Just wondering if I made a mishap somewhere within the solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
RyanTAsher said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

## f_x (x,y) = 6x^2y^3##
## f_y (x,y) = 6x^3y^2##

## f_x (3,4) = 3456 ##
## f_y (3,4) = 2592 ##

##u = \frac {a} {||a||} = \frac {\langle 3,4 \rangle} {5} = \langle \frac {3} {5}, \frac {4} {5} \rangle##

Now, my program wants this an exact number, no tolerance. It won't accept division either, so I don't know how to put in 20736/5. Just wondering if I made a mishap somewhere within the solution.
You can't enter in a decimal number?

SteamKing said:
You can't enter in a decimal number?

Wouldn't that not be exact, but approximate form though? Or if I decimal isn't repeating is it considered exact?

RyanTAsher said:
Wouldn't that not be exact, but approximate form though? Or if I decimal isn't repeating is it considered exact?
So, you're saying that (1/2) = 0.5 is only an approximation and not an exact representation? Interesting.

SteamKing said:
So, you're saying that (1/2) = 0.5 is only an approximation and not an exact representation? Interesting.

So, I'm guessing it's not an approximation? Makes sense, good to learn something new. I will attempt to insert my answer.

SteamKing said:

I attempted the answer of 4147.2, and it was incorrect. Therefore, my work must be incorrect somewhere.

RyanTAsher said:
I attempted the answer of 4147.2, and it was incorrect. Therefore, my work must be incorrect somewhere.
What if the wrong answer has been programmed into the software you're using?

SteamKing said:
What if the wrong answer has been programmed into the software you're using?

I've spoken to other students who have the same problem, but with different numbers, so I'm pretty positive that the programs solution is correct, but now that I am at home I don't have access to see any of their solutions.

RyanTAsher said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

## f_x (x,y) = 6x^2y^3##
## f_y (x,y) = 6x^3y^2##

## f_x (3,4) = 3456 ##
## f_y (3,4) = 2592 ##

##u_y \neq 4/5##; go back and check your work.

Ray Vickson said:
##u_y \neq 4/5##; go back and check your work.

Ah, thank you I missed that. I have remodeled my work, and the solution turns out to be 0, and is correct. Thank you both for your time.

What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of the rate of change of a function in a particular direction. It gives the slope of the function in the specified direction, much like a regular derivative gives the slope of a function at a specific point.

How is directional derivative calculated?

The directional derivative is calculated using the dot product between the gradient of the function and the unit vector representing the specified direction. This can be written as Df(x,y) = ∇f(x,y) · u, where ∇f(x,y) is the gradient of the function and u is the unit vector representing the direction.

What is the significance of the directional derivative?

The directional derivative is important in understanding the behavior of a function in a particular direction. It can help determine the steepest slope of a function at a given point and can be used to optimize functions in applications such as physics, engineering, and economics.

Can the directional derivative be negative?

Yes, the directional derivative can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing in the specified direction. A positive directional derivative indicates that the function is increasing in the specified direction.

What is the relationship between the directional derivative and the gradient?

The directional derivative is closely related to the gradient of a function. The gradient is a vector that points in the direction of maximum change of the function at a given point, and its magnitude is equal to the directional derivative in that direction. This means that the gradient can be thought of as a collection of all possible directional derivatives of a function.