Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Directional Derivatives

1. Sep 2, 2008 #1
    Hey there, as part of my first year in engineering I'm doing some challenging math that i can usually make sense of by myself apart from these Directional Derivatives. If someone could explain these to me in both straightforward terms first and more complicated math theory second it would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Try Wikipedia or your maths textbook.

4. Sep 2, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If z= F(x,y), then z has a value at every point in the plane. A "directional derivative" just tells the derivative (rate of change) of z in a particular direction. There are several different ways to find that. One would be to change to a new coordinate system so the the x' axis pointed in the given direction and the y' axis perpendicular to it. Then the directional derivative is just the partial derivative with respect to x'. Another is to calculate the gradient. The directional derivative is the wdot product of the gradient vector and the unit vector in the given direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?