1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Directional derivatives

1. Sep 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello:
    An airplane is flying near a radar tower. At the instant it is exactly 3 miles due west of the tower. It is 4 miles high and flying with a ground speed of 450 mph and climbing at rate of 5 mph. If at the instant it is flying east, what is the rate of approach to the tower.

So I think this means that its position is [-3 0 4] if we take the tower to be located at [0 0 0] and its velocity is [450 0 5]. I thought that the derivative of the position function evaluated at [-3 0 4] and multiplied by the velocity vector will give us the rate of approach. But would the position function be [450t 0 5t]? This looks wrong.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you put t=0 into the position function you should get [-3,0,4], right? Doesn't that make the position function s(t)=[-3,0,4]+t*[450,0,5]?

4. Sep 29, 2009 #3
    Hello:

Yes, but for some reason, I'm supposed to find the rate of approach (the tower). And the answer is 266 mph. But I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get that answer from what I have?

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  5. Sep 29, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to find d/dt(|s(t)|). What's |s(t)|?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook