What is the Directional Derivative at a Given Point?

Yes, it is a scalar quantity. The directional derivative is just a measure of how much the function changes in the direction of the given unit vector. So, your final answer would be the result of the dot product between the gradient of the function and the unit vector.
jegues

Homework Statement

See first figure.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

See second figure. I defined direction of the line by which the two planes intersect as,

[tex]\vec{d}[/tex]

and found that the point they are asking about is when,

[tex]t=1[/tex]

and I'm stuck here. This is my first attempt at a question like this so I applogize in advance if I'm missing something obvious.

How do I figure out what direction is the direction of increasing x?

[tex]D_{u^{+}}f(x,y,z) = f_{x}(x,y,z)a + f_{y}(x,y,z)b + f_{z}(x,y,z)c[/tex]

So,

[tex]D_{u^{+}}f(x,y,z) = ax^{2} + b2y -c2z [/tex]

At the point (-1,1,3),

[tex]D_{u^{+}}f(-1,1,3) = a + 2b -6c[/tex]

This is as far as I got.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• DIRDERIV.JPG
    DIRDERIV.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 364
  • DIRATT.JPG
    DIRATT.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 358
Physics news on Phys.org
To take a simpler example: If you have the function f(x,y)=x2+y2, and I told you to take the directional derivative along the line y=x...

The obvious vector to take is the vector (1,1) (scaled to be a unit vector). But that's not the only direction you could pick, (-1,-1) also is a vector pointing along the line y=x. If I addeed: take the direction of increasing x, then you would want to pick the vector that points along the direction in which x increases. This means that the vector pointing in the direction of the line has a positive x coordinate, so the right direction would be (1,1)

Office_Shredder said:
To take a simpler example: If you have the function f(x,y)=x2+y2, and I told you to take the directional derivative along the line y=x...

The obvious vector to take is the vector (1,1) (scaled to be a unit vector). But that's not the only direction you could pick, (-1,-1) also is a vector pointing along the line y=x. If I addeed: take the direction of increasing x, then you would want to pick the vector that points along the direction in which x increases. This means that the vector pointing in the direction of the line has a positive x coordinate, so the right direction would be (1,1)

Okay so the line I'm given is as follows,

[tex]\vec{l} = <0, -1, 2> + <-1,2,1>t[/tex]

and for x to increase along the line l,

[tex]t \leq -1[/tex].

so if I simply compute t = -1, I'll get a vector with the direction,

[tex]\vec{u} = <1,-3,1>[/tex]

Scaling this to be a unit vector,

[tex]\hat{u} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{11}}<1,-3,1>[/tex]

Would this be a vector of magnitude 1 pointing in the direction of increasing x?

Bump, still looking for some help on this one.

Bumpity bump!

jegues said:
Okay so the line I'm given is as follows,

[tex]\vec{l} = <0, -1, 2> + <-1,2,1>t[/tex]

and for x to increase along the line l,

[tex]t \leq -1[/tex].

so if I simply compute t = -1, I'll get a vector with the direction,

[tex]\vec{u} = <1,-3,1>[/tex]

That's not right. Your [tex]\vec{u} [/tex] is the vector from the origin to the point (1, -3, 1) on line l where t = -1. You want the direction of your line itself for which x is increasing. So you should just have [tex] \vec{u} = <1, -2, -1>. [/tex] Make that into a unit vector and finish up.

Raskolnikov said:
That's not right. Your [tex]\vec{u} [/tex] is the vector from the origin to the point (1, -3, 1) on line l where t = -1. You want the direction of your line itself for which x is increasing. So you should just have [tex] \vec{u} = <1, -2, -1>. [/tex] Make that into a unit vector and finish up.

Okay so scaling it as a unit vector,

[tex]\hat{u} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} < 1, -2, -1>[/tex]

Now how can I use this to solve for a, b and c? That's what I want to do next right?

No...that's what you just found. [tex] \vec{u} = <a, b, c> [/tex]

Raskolnikov said:
No...that's what you just found. [tex] \vec{u} = <a, b, c> [/tex]

Oh okay! I think I get it now.

Thanks again.

Sorry for ressurecting this thread, but I've got another quick question.

When someone asks me for the directional derivative of something at a given point, is my final answer a scalar?

In this case would it simply be the scalar provided by,

[tex] \nabla f(-1,1,3)\cdot \hat{u}[/tex]

?

Thanks again!

Yes, it's the scalar product of the gradient and a unit vector.
[tex]
D_{u}f= \nabla f\cdot\frac{\bold{u}}{\left|\bold{u}\right|}
[/tex]

1. What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of how a function changes in a particular direction from a given point. It can be thought of as the slope of the function in the direction of a vector.

2. How is a directional derivative calculated?

The directional derivative is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient of the function and the unit vector in the desired direction. This can be represented mathematically as D_v f(x,y) = ∇f(x,y) · v, where ∇f(x,y) is the gradient of the function and v is the unit vector.

3. What is the significance of directional derivatives in real-world applications?

Directional derivatives are used in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are particularly useful in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function in a given direction.

4. How do directional derivatives relate to partial derivatives?

Directional derivatives are a generalization of partial derivatives. While partial derivatives measure the rate of change of a function in the direction of one of its independent variables, directional derivatives measure the rate of change in the direction of an arbitrary vector.

5. Can directional derivatives be negative?

Yes, directional derivatives can be negative. A negative directional derivative indicates that the function is decreasing in the direction of the given vector, while a positive directional derivative indicates that the function is increasing in that direction.